By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Let's talk about meat

Tagged games:

So I made a mistake and didn't eat my steak right away, I thought to save it for an extra special day. So it stayed in the freezer and I forgot about it. Safety wise I am sure it is safe, but cooking it might also just be a waste of time at this point. So I am thinking about tossing it.

The meat:

T bone Steak from June 2015, 31 months past

Ribeye Steak from June 2015, 31 months past

Ribeye Steak from June 2016, 19 months past

USDA Recommendations: Meat, uncooked steaks or chops 4 to 12 months

The meat is directly from a slaughterhouse/ meat locker. The thing that irks me is that this meat was given to me like November 2016, so according to the rules 2 of the steaks were already past due date. So I suppose this only applies to the one from June 2016. Still I like to talk about meat and other people's experiences with past due meat.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
You've had a steak in your freezer for like a year and a half and haven't eaten it yet? WTF? Steak is amazing!

Can't say I've ever eaten past due steak, it never lasts that long. I did eat an old pork chop one time though, tasted really vinegary which was strange didn't make me ill though so there's that at least.

Yeah for sure, but I hate smoking out my tiny apartment. I just got really lazy, honestly should have just cooked the newer one right away for my birthday or something.

Toss it. I watched my dad get very sick on frozen hamburger meat after 13 months. Freezing only slows rotting but doesn't stop it. Get rid of it if you like living.

SegataSanshiro said:

Toss it. I watched my dad get very sick on frozen hamburger meat after 13 months. Freezing only slows rotting but doesn't stop it. Get rid of it if you like living.

I still don't understand why a friend would give me 2 steaks that is already 16 months old :(. Oh well, guess being lazy might have actually saved me a bit.

Farsala said:
SegataSanshiro said:

I still don't understand why a friend would give me 2 steaks that is already 16 months old :(. Oh well, guess being lazy might have actually saved me a bit.

There's three possibilities.

He didn't realize they were expired.

He thought that you would eat anything and gave them to you knowingly.

He did it as a prank.

Around the Network

Cut your losses.

After they kill the cow they cryo pack the meat and ship it to the super market were the butcher makes steaks and roasts. Any ways never eat a steak thats a year old

Yeah unless you wanna die I'd recommend not eating it.

Pretty disappointing however. I dislike throwing away food, especially expensive meats/produce that expire.

Cook it and feed it to the dogs. Their stomach is a lower ph than yours and can handle this. You’ll get sick if you eat it so dont

Ribeye never makes it to my freezer, always cook it right away. The stuff is just so good