By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My FOURTH attempt at finishing Xenoblade Chronicles... here I go!

Tagged games:

Yeah the game kind of bored me the few times I tried to get into it. Good luck. I think I got a few hours in.

Around the Network

Well youre in for another 70 hours of fun

it admittedly does start out slow but then it really picks up during the second and third act

I avoided this game as much as I could until I saw it top the top 10 lists of Wii games/RPGs. It looked bad compared to other 7th gen RPGS, the art style wasn't what I was used to but I took a jump in, and don't ever regret it. The story and voice acting is nothing short of amazing and the battle system was unique for its time, at least on the Wii.

Just keep playing. If you ever think you're getting bored, just keep playing. The plot twists and characters alone were more than enough to keep me invested in the game. Pair that with an amazing soundtrack, and by the end I swear you'll cry. I beat it with my brother and being the "manly men" we thought we were, we were both trying to hold back emotion. It's just a well done story and overall amazing experience. It's not for everybody, no game is, but the game will find you if you're open to it, if that makes sense.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 16 December 2017

Enjoy! The game is easily in my top 10, and I still find myself daydreaming about it.

Well, more often lately obviously.

That being said...there are some slow parts, and it's easy to get overwhelmed. If you're anything like me, my recommendation is to limit inventory management to once or twice a session, just to avoid getting tired of staring at numbers, and if you feel like there's too much to do, just focus on the main story. You can skip travel quickly anytime you want, so there's no need to try to do it all right away.

Of course, if you like inventory management, or like searching every nook and cranny of the world, no worries either!

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network

I tried getting into Super Paper Mario like 3 times, but I just gave up on the game. If you don't like XC, then don't force yourself. We like what we like.

Bristow9091 said:

... I like exploring, and the huge size of the game world interests me, so that's something I'll probably end up doing if I make it that far, lol. Is the inventory space limited then, or does it just make it easier having fewer items more organised? And yeah, as much as I love doing side quests and stuff, I think my best bet here would be to just focus on the story, at least during the first hours anyway...

I believe your inventory space is pretty massive...I think it's finite but I don't recall having much trouble there. It's more just that you get new weapons and armor pretty frequently, and so if you go to your inventory to re-equip something every time you get something new, you're gonna spend a huge portion of your playtime there. I usually like to keep my inventory organized in RPGs and remove superceded equipment right away, but here it just wasn't practical. 

There are some nice side-quests, but most of them aren't very compelling, and feel like MMO tedium. Go slay a random boss or collect five carrots or something like that. They're handy to get more items or experience, but I would just recommend keeping those in the background rather than trying to get it all done right away.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Where did you hear Xenoblade X isn't good? That is ludicrous. It's a great game (and in my opinion it's the new mass effect). But, it's an open world game rather than a story driven one (think Skyrim).

Anyways if 6 hours is all you did, i don't see much hope. The game will take you at least 50 hours, and if the joy of exploration and characters didn't grab you, i doubt anything will.

I still need to get it myself. Though maybe it's a good thing, since I have such a huge backlog as it is!!

If you don't like it... maybe just don't play Xenobldade 2.

It does start out slow, and honestly it stays kind of slow throughout the game, which is actually the problem I'm having with 2.

But the problem IMO is less about being slow, and more about feeling kind of aimless in the beginning. There's a vague goal, but overall, there's not a great sense of purpose, so it feels like a slog with nothing much to look forward to. That being said, once the story develops, it gets really engaging, and the slow parts, rather than just being boring, serve to build anticipation.   So, I'm hoping that 2 eventually gets to the same point.

Btw, I would actually recommend X. A lot of fans didn't like it as much since it's very different from Chronicles 1, but it's a really good game in its own right. It's more of an open world than a traditional JRPG, and I feel like it kind of set the stage for Breath of the Wild. It's similar in that it takes a lot of the freedom from WRPG style games like Skyrim, but is still focused very squarely on a central goal. As in BOTW, there is a lot to do, but all of it serves the game's central objective. I kind of feel that now that there's a legitimate followup to Chronicles, opinions on the game will soften. If you think of it as a spinoff instead of a sequel, you'll probably enjoy it. In fact, you may enjoy it more than Xenoblade Chronicles. Because the format is way more open, you don't run into the same issues of your progress being bottlenecked in certain places.