By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will Nintendo do with the BotW engine?

What will Nintendo do with the BotW engine?

They will use it in multiple franchises. 26 28.57%

They will just use it for Zelda games. 41 45.05%

They won't reuse it, Bot... 24 26.37%

Total:91

So, after years of developing and multiple delays, Nintendo finished Breath of the Wild, which instantly became a sales and critical success for all of us to enjoy. But if I can recall it correctly, there was an old interview with Nintendo that talked about how "BotW is an investment in the long run" or something to tht effect. They have clearly developed a very good engine, and it works spectacularly on Zelda, but what could they do with it elsewhere? Could they take this engine and apply it to other open-world games, by tweaking a thing or two? And if they can, in what game would it be used on?

I'm just wondering if they could make an open world Pokemon game by just recycling the BotW engine. A cell-shaded pokemon game in HD would be great, even if the size of the map would be more limited than in Zelda.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Earthbound/Mother.

I really don't think they would reuse this engine for other franchises, that just doesn't look like a Nintendo thing to do.

Making another Zelda with this engine would be great, but I can't think of much more that can be expanded in this generation. Maybe show the world 100 years before BoTW, but the map being the same is kind of a bummer.

Só no little shoe

Something I'd assume, though I am no expert on engines.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

The easy answer is another Zelda but I really want them to reboot star tropics

Around the Network

Nintendo usually takes a blizzard approach and builds engines to its needs.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Have the 2D Zelda guys work in it, and develop a new engine for the console after the Switch.

Maybe Animal Crossing, or some smaller spin off titles will use the same engine.
Nintendo will probably merge the more successful tools they developed with BotW into their toolkit, and retire the rest of the engine.

The Switch is a new piece of hardware, with a very different hardware architecture, new methods of rendering scenes will be looked at.

Also I think they were talking about the Zelda formula in general.
I would bet that a big portion of the development time with BotW was spent figuring out what type of a game they were making.
BotW is a very experimental game, new understandings of game design was the true value gained.

Easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4tLbzm3oAM

I expect the next Zelda game AND another unrelated game to use the same engine (or an upgraded version of it ), If I were to guess I'd say either the Thief IP from Aonuma or a new Kid Icarus would be fitting

Ljink96 said:

Easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4tLbzm3oAM

Beautiful.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.