By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What games were you reluctant to play?

Tagged games:

Back in 2002, a brand new IP was released in collaboration with what was formally known as Squaresoft (now known as Square Enix due to the merge in 2003), and The Walt Disney Company. When I first heard about this title called Kingdom Hearts, I was incredibly sceptical. I had initially thought that the combination of Final Fantasy character and Disney characters was ludicrous. 

However, once my brother purchased the PlayStation 2 and picked up Kingdom Hearts with the console - everything changed. My original presumption of a key-wielding protagonist running alongside the likes of Winnie the Pooh being a doomed concept was quickly invalidated.

Kingdom Hearts has since become one of my favourite video game series.

What game/s managed to surprise you when you were reluctant to play them?

On a side note: this is my first thread. 

*Insert Obi-Wan Kenobi reference* Hello there.

Around the Network

I will play any genre except RTS games. It's the only genre that I just loath with absolute contempt. I've tried it, but it's just not happening.

AlfredoTurkey said:

I will play any genre except RTS games. It's the only genre that I just loath with absolute contempt. I've tried it, but it's just not happening.

That's fair. Some genres simply do not mesh well with particular people. I have played numerous sports games and I can easily deduce that this is a genre that does not work for me.

Are there any games within a particular genre that you do enjoy, however, you thought that this particular game wasn't going to be good - yet it proved you wrong once you had the chance to play it?

Horizon:Zero Dawn. I still stick by the idea that the intro is terrible. The game was really fun though, although I think it lost steam a bit in the last few hours.

There are too many games on the market to even try games you're not fully on board with. I know what I like and what I don't like and I buy accordingly.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

vivster said:
There are too many games on the market to even try games you're not fully on board with. I know what I like and what I don't like and I buy accordingly.

You could argue the same about movies or music. However, in certain circumstances, in which you would otherwise avoid said movie or band due to having a poor impression - a friend might suggest watching a movie you were on the fence about, or introduce you to a musician that did not interest you. You do not necessarily have to actively seek out things that you believe will not interest you.
In these cases, you can encounter something that you were reluctant to participate in any form of engagement, and come to find that you have enjoyed said things.

I often have a greater sense of satisfaction out of discovering something that I wasn't expecting to like, rather than encountering something that I knew I would like. 
I also find that if I believe I am going to like something and I am disappointed by it, I am more disappointed by the thing that I thought I would like, than that of something I already had low expectations for.

ResidentToxy said:
vivster said:

You could argue the same about movies or music. However, in certain circumstances, in which you would otherwise avoid said movie or band due to having a poor impression - a friend might suggest watching a movie you were on the fence about, or introduce you to a musician that did not interest you. You do not necessarily have to actively seek out things that you believe will not interest you.
In these cases, you can encounter something that you were reluctant to participate in any form of engagement, and come to find that you have enjoyed said things.

I often have a greater sense of satisfaction out of discovering something that I wasn't expecting to like, rather than encountering something that I knew I would like. 
I also find that if I believe I am going to like something and I am disappointed by it, I am more disappointed by the thing that I thought I would like, than that of something I already had low expectations for.

Well yeah, when a friend recommends me something I will tell him to fuck off and say that I have better shit to do and my friends accept that. Got no time to discover new things when I can't even keep up with the shit I actually want to do.

I both pity and envy people who have to seek out new stuff to fill their time.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
ResidentToxy said:

Well yeah, when a friend recommends me something I will tell him to fuck off and say that I have better shit to do and my friends accept that. Got no time to discover new things when I can't even keep up with the shit I actually want to do.

I both pity and envy people who have to seek out new stuff to fill their time.

Fair enough.

Persona 4 Golden. Turned out to be pretty damn good.