By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Distractions in games!

Tagged games:

Do you get distracted in games? Side quests, minigames etc.

Yes 28 75.68%

No 9 24.32%

Total:37

tfw playing games within a game.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

Yep, I'm the same. It's one of the reasons why I like RPGs the most compared to other genres. There's just alot to get distracted with or immersed in.

I'm an Explorer type. I want to go everywhere and know all the secrets. If I see a ruin, I want to make sure it's not meaningful or significant in some way. I want to know and see everything and have it cataloged in my mind. Games like Fallout 4 or Skyrim, where you know 90% of players will only see a tiny bit of the whole world, I just can't accept that personally.

I also have some kind of game-centric OCD, where I HATE leaving enemies alive.

Using Fallout 4 as an example again, there is a road that takes you from your Hangman's Alley settlement to some other important, quest-filled areas. On the way over, there are several minor Raider hideouts and encounters, which you can easily run past--which you really SHOULD run past, to be honest, after you've wiped them out a few times. I can't stand it, though, and almost always clear them out AGAIN, even if there are quests I feel like I need to get over with.

Likewise, when I teleport to the island with Croup Manor, I'll see Brotherhood of Steel choppers flying overhead and, even if I'm there for a reason, I'll veer off and follow them just to get in on the action as they attack any baddies floating around. In fact, I'll usually trigger the Mirelurk Queen and drag her into the BoS/Mutants/Raiders, then hide. When I'm executing the survivors and looting the corpses, I'll think, "oh, crap, I was supposed to be finishing that quest ..."

Speaking of TW3.... I found it quite frustrating that I had to look at the mini map virtually constantly while moving around. The game is beautiful, but I had to make a point to not worry about the quest I was on if I wanted to enjoy the scenery.

Many games have that same issue. But, I thought it was a bit worse than usual, plus the scenery was a bit more beautiful that usual in TW3. I guess its a good problem to have.....

As to the poll question, I selected no.

I tend to do a good bit of exploring in games, and I generally do a lot of the side quests and things. But, its not because I've been distracted. Its stuff that I consciously decide to do.

I think, very roughly, I spend my time like 1/3 on main story, 2/3 on other stuff. I'll do a story mission, then do a couple of side quests. Sometimes I'll just do sides until I feel like I'm losing the immersion in the story, then go do a story mission or two.

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:

tfw playing games within a game.

Reminds me of Yakuza 0. it was my first Yakuza game, and I can't tell you how often I got distracted. Whether if it was dancing or winning a chicken, I felt like the game was meant for me.

Probably my favorite aspect of any game is being able to do side stuff, so for me the more the better

Nope. I only play the game to beat the main story. Side quests are usually only put in games because the length of the main game isn't long enough and they're worried people won't buy it. It's kind of an after thought.

For me it's the music. I can get distracted by that, because then I just want to listen to it.

Bristow9091 said:
VGPolyglot said:
For me it's the music. I can get distracted by that, because then I just want to listen to it.

Oh yeah, there's been times where I've put my controller down and let the music loop just because I want to sit there and listen to it, this is especially true everytime I replay Final Fantasy X, which is every year, specifically in Besaid and Zanarkand Ruins when "A Fleeting Dream" plays... I actually love grinding in Zanarkand too because the music doesn't change when going into battles and I get all the feels from the music and everything, so good!

Yeah, listening to Besaid is one of my fondest gaming memories ever.