By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 production officially ended in Japan!

Tagged games:

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/playstation-3-production-ended-japan

PlayStation 3 production has ended in Japan, the official Japanese PlayStation website revealed. The page for the 500 gigabyte standard model, the only remaining PlayStation 3 model in production in Japan, lists shipments as “ended.”

http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps3/hardware/cech4300c.html

From 2006 to 2017. Sony kept their promise on a 10 year console.  What a ride it has been. Thank you Sony.  Looks like the sun is setting in the East for the console.  Farewell sweet Prince. 

Around the Network

11 fucking years! Damn with how the ps4 is selling how long will that be getting produced?

Good night, sweet prince.

I didn't know that PS3 500GB model.

Good night !

Radek said:

Never selling mine! 11 years in production and outsold 360 in the end despite launching 1 year late and for 599$, what a beast!

86.86 millions sold according to VG Chartz.

I replaced my ps3 last year.  Hopefully it lasts forever. 

Around the Network

Thank you Sony, for everything.

RIP PS3

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

btw I'm still playing on PS3

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Sold really good for what people expected after a bad reveal and it's final years it cemented the way for ps4's success. That, and it had many great games, hope mine doesn't break at least until we can emulate it easily haha

Welp, time to go pick up a spare PS3 I guess.

Despite the shortcomings and difficulties of the PS3, I love the shit out of mine for all its quirks included.

Sprash said:
11 fucking years! Damn with how the ps4 is selling how long will that be getting produced?

I have no doubt the PS4 will be around a very, very long time. It is the baseline for Sony's entire ecosystem, and I fully believe they will release many more form factors as the chipset becomes cheaper, and more power effecient. Don't be surprised if we see PS4 Digital Edition, PS4 Laptop/Tablet, PS4 Handheld, and PS4 Phone over the next decade. With the OS, the Network, and the Hardware R&D being shared across all devices, the option of these other form factors is an extreamly low risk way for Sony to greatly expand the popularity of their OS and inrease digital sales. PlayStation OS and PlayStation Store are basically a license to print money.

Back to the PS3. What a misunderstood piece of tech. I absolutely loved the PS3, and in many ways find it a much better device than PS4. It still stands atop the mountain as the greatest piece of hardware the computer industry has ever seen in its moment. I miss the Ken Kutaragi design in PlayStation, and the ambition to make the greatest peice of technology available. PS3 truly marks the end of an era in console design, and for Sony itself. The new scalable PS4 ecosystem may drive them to the greatest success in their history, but for me, it will never be as special as the PlayStation 3. 

Now, Rest In Peace, and let your manufacturing space give birth to great PlayStation products of the future.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL