By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix drops Hitman developer IO Interactive

Tagged games:

Square Enix is currently in the process of negotiating with potential investors to buy Hitman developer IO Interactive.

Square Enix has withdrawn from IO Interactive, the Danish studio behind the Hitman series. The company revealed the sudden move in a note to investors [PDF].

“To maximise player satisfaction as well as market potential going forward, we are focusing our resources and energies on key franchises and studios,” the publisher said before announcing its “withdrawal” from the Danish developer’s business.

The withdrawal actually came in effect beginning March 31, which would explain why we haven’t heard a beep about a new Hitman season. Square Enix is now negotiating with potential investors to secure the studio’s future.

IO Interactive began working with Square Enix after the publisher bought the studio’s parent company, Eidos, in 2009. The future of the Hitman IP, as well as other IO-developed franchises, remains a big mystery. Square Enix will likely keep ownership of the IP, which would leave IO to create its own.

Source

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

At least they're not just closing it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Thanks Marvel.

But seriously if SE was the one to implement the episodic release of Hitman ( Which I think hurt the sales) then it's SE to blame.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Hey VGChartz wanna buy them?? I'm sure if we all chipped in a few hundred thousand each we might be able to get them.

Its all Square fault for wanting to do this in a episodic form.From what I have heard, the game itself is good, its just this episodic nature that ruined it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

So we have EA demoting Bioware staff and now SE ditching IO...

Not looking good for the publisher side of things.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Would be missed if they would be closed but this is a very talented studio so I am sure if they decide to ditch this developer they will be purchased by another big company. Hitman was an excellent game and they have a good track reckord with their games.

Will be following the faith of this company closely.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

ktay95 said:
Hey VGChartz wanna buy them?? I'm sure if we all chipped in a few hundred thousand each we might be able to get them.

Sounds like a simple undertaking.

ktay95 said:

Sorry, but I'm going to have to say no deal to that!

Do their IPs go with them?