By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Joel vs. Nathan Drake: Who is the Bigger Jerk?

Tagged games:

Who is the Bigger Jerk?

Joel Miller 26 53.06%

Nathan Drake 23 46.94%

Total:49

I just finished The Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted 4 A Thief's End pretty much back to back (Played some Ratchet & Clank in between). Both are amazing games as you probably already know but something has been bothering me about them.

Both main characters are huge jerks and damn unlikable if you think about it.

For Joel:

-Kills plenty of people without giving them a chance to surrender.

-Lies to Ellie

-Treats his brother poorly.

-May or may not have doomed humanity.

For Drake:

-Kills an astonishing amount of people.

-Is a thief whose primary motivation is greed.

-Leads friends and family into dangerous situations.

-Lies to his wife.

Of course Joel had to suffer some real despair in losing his daughter (and presumably his wife before that). Joel also lives in a harsher world where the only way to survive is not to trust anyone.

Drake however, I am surprised that none of the games featured a plot where he was hunted down by Interpol. I doubt most of his kills were legal or justified. Yeah he was an orphan and thought his brother died but he has a suprisingly clean concious for the crap he has done.

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

Definitely Drake lol he's a lying, thieving, murderous scallywag.

Joel is 6ft even based on
http://thelastofus.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:17707
specifically the comment of - "According to his profile, in the design and appearance paragraph, he is 6 ft .:)"

Whereas Nathan Drake is
6foot 1.7inchs tall from
http://uncharted.neoseeker.com/wiki/Nathan_Drake

Meaning that Nathan Drake is the bigger of these two jerks.

Good thread OP, I enjoyed it greatly.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Nathan Drake, because she chose Elena over Chloe and by the way Plots in video games are most of the time Absurd/Won't happen in real life.

Drake because Joel is in a more moral based reality. He needs to kill to survive and save the people around him. Drake is basically killing people to increase his wealth.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Around the Network

Neither. They are both awesome and whatever "questionable" actions you think they do, they do for good reasons.

Jpcc86 said:
Neither. They are both awesome and whatever "questionable" actions you think they do, they do for good reasons.

There is never a good reason for straight murder. There are more than enough times when Drake isn't even killing dudes in self-defense. He's just doing it casually as if it's the most normal thing in the world. 

Then again, it's just a game, so who the hell cares? ^^

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Joel but considering his situation he's got every right to be

Signalstar said:

I just finished The Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted 4 A Thief's End pretty much back to back (Played some Ratchet & Clank in between). Both are amazing games as you probably already know but something has been bothering me about them.

Both main characters are huge jerks and damn unlikable if you think about it.

For Joel:

-Kills plenty of people without giving them a chance to surrender.

He lives in a dog eat dog world.

-Lies to Ellie

True, but he kind of thinks it's the right thing to do to save Ellie. It's also selfish, because he just can't give her up. Cut him some slack?

-Treats his brother poorly.

How? Because they had a disagreement over something? They resolved it in the end.

-May or may not have doomed humanity.

I'll give you that one.

For Drake:

-Kills an astonishing amount of people.

Yup, although those people would surely kill him, if they saw him first.

-Is a thief whose primary motivation is greed.

No, it's the adventure and mystery itself, plus he really has respect for ancient treasures and knows his stuff. In fact, they kind of joke about how after all his exploits he doesn't have very much to show for anything.

-Leads friends and family into dangerous situations.

His friends are in the business with him, they are his partners in what he does. He doesn't force anyone to come along.

-Lies to his wife.

True. He wanted to spare her from all the worrying.

Of course Joel had to suffer some real despair in losing his daughter (and presumably his wife before that). Joel also lives in a harsher world where the only way to survive is not to trust anyone.

Drake however, I am surprised that none of the games featured a plot where he was hunted down by Interpol. I doubt most of his kills were legal or justified. Yeah he was an orphan and thought his brother died but he has a suprisingly clean concious for the crap he has done.

Thoughts?

In a world where survival is key due to mass depopulation, we don't really know how Joel's killing is seen. To us, he kills a lot and part of the story shows us how he was a 'murderous madman' for killing people (said by someone I think). His final actions though, very selfish and low but of a desperate man.

Drake on the other hand is a mass murder to untold degrees, I highly doubt there are many people in the world who have killed as many people as he did even in war. And in self defence right? Well, except the times when you can sneak up on people and throttle them. But you know, make a few quips and it's a-okay.

Hmm, pie.