By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will sell better, Splatoon 2 or Mario Odyssey?

Tagged games:

What will sell better, Splatoon 2 or Mario Odyssey?

Super Mario Odyssey. 256 76.88%

Splatoon 2. 43 12.91%

Both will sell practically the same. 23 6.91%

Don't know. 11 3.30%

Total:333

So, watching the numbers of the WiiU software, I saw that Splatoon and 3D World are rather close in numbers.

4. Super Mario 3D World 2013 Platform Nintendo 2.24 1.31 0.74 0.35 4.64
5. Splatoon 2015 Shooter Nintendo 1.57 1.29 1.52 0.27 4.64

I don't know the precision of these numbers, but they are close indeed. With the Switch already out and Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey scheduled for this year, I have to wonder. Which one will sell better? On one hand, Mario is finally going back to the 64 collect-a-thon formula, in contrast to the 3D Land gameplay 3D World used. On the other hand, Splatoon is not longer an unproven IP, and Nintendo will push it a lot to justify their online fees. It will be interesting to see them battle it out.

Also, I leave here the last sales comparaisons that I made: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=202145&page=1

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I didn't have faith in Splatoon and it surprised the hell out of me. It was kinda embarrassing how bad my prediction was.

I'm going to double down and say Splatoon 2 will flop and Mario will sell at least three times as much.

Mario Odyssey is mario going back to where it should be, a 3D collectathon style game.
Hopefully its even better than Mario Galaxy I & II.

So unless the world has gone mad, and only care about shooters (sadface), then Mario should win it.

Ka-pi96 said:
Hopefully Mario. It needs to outsell 3D World by the bucketload to ensure Nintendo never do something like 3D World again! Should have stayed with the collectathon style instead!

Thank you so much for that :D

I agree 100% with this.

F*** 3D world (which was okay) but I expect greatness from Mario platformers, and the last time that was true for mario was Galaxy I & II.

Splatoon, I think. There's a huge number of Wii owners who skipped the Wii U generation and they all love party / multiplayer games. If Splatoon has a decent local multiplay it will sell like sliced bread.

It's going to be close but Mario will probably sell marginally more. Switch will have more casual fans, and they all know who mario is.

Sales prediction, PS4: 122 Million, Xbox one: 50 million, Switch: 105 million. 

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I didn't have faith in Splatoon and it surprised the hell out of me. It was kinda embarrassing how bad my prediction was.

I'm going to double down and say Splatoon 2 will flop and Mario will sell at least three times as much.

I'm gonna go down that route together with you.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I think Super Mario Odyssey will sell more.

d21lewis said:

Same here, I thought it would fail to impress but I was dead wrong. I think Odyssey will also sell better this time around. Seems like a fresher take (at least the setting, not the story so much) on the old plummer. Splatoon 2 doesn't feel much like a squel, at least at first glance

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Super Mario Odyssey will win this easily. The trailer already has over 18 million views and it's the most watched video game trailer ever on youtube I think.

Splatoon 2 is way too similar to the first game to make that much impact.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Mario because it's Mario.

That being said though, the Global Testfire this weekend was pretty lit.