By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - One way the Switches Price is going to hurt sales.

Tagged games:

Ganon is right

Yes 11 22.00%

No 15 30.00%

Maybe 10 20.00%

Always 4 8.00%

Banana 10 20.00%

Total:50

Been playing the Switch a week now and I'm enjoying the absolute hell out of it, I've not seen the built quality of a device being this good in some time and Zelda / FAST RMX are both absolutely marvelous as portable games and not exactly left out in the cold as home console games either.

But I was thinking... So far I have used it outside just two times, and not for lack of opportunity to do so, but more worry about the system being damaged or something happening to it outside (Dunno, someone walking passed and nabbing it, it's pretty) So that made me think... I have had a PSP-Go,3DS, Vita all happily in rotation as portable games machines which I don't think I've ever hesitated to bring outside with me but the Switch has one issue which is stopping that happen (Okay there are two but the other is a weird one)

That price tag hanging off the side of it is really the point where I reconsider going out the door with the switch in my pocket (if you want to do this, take the Joycons in another pocket, fits rather handily in my coat pocket without them) but yeah... I mean I'm a 6ft 33year old rather large man (child) and I wouldn't fancy the chances of someone being able to force my hand to steal my Switch... but kids are going to be a completely different story, parents imo are going to be very hesitant to allow their children pick up the switch and go outside to play with their friends because once Zelda is in the cart port you are talking about €400 of loss if something happens to it, that is just a step above what I think people would be comfortable with potentially losing on one mistake, especially when Nintendo had been working on creating devices like the 2DS with the thought process being that it was so cheap and hardy that if it broke... fuck it, it was cheap, now the Switch has gone off the scale with this.

How does this effect sales though? surely if someone has a switch they've bought the unit, what does it matter if they're playing it inside or out.... well... think back to that reveal video which got the world hyped for it, what was the main cool feature? that you could bring it out with you, halt a basketball game so that you could play NBA2K on the Switch or fly in planes with it, basically the console comes with the ability to advertise it to others by taking it outside and enjoying it, but with the price tag looming over the heads of those who have invested, I wonder is anyone else (or anyone elses parents) stopping that area of advertising from happening because of the cost of a potential accident/theft.

Still thought, guys if you haven't played the Switch yet and are judging it based on the quality of the images captured from it's portable screen I have to say... do what you can to see if you can get a demo of it in a game store near you or so, because really the 720 display on it is beautiful and I feel the screenies online don't do it justice, Go out there and support the Switch now rather than later on when the third parties will have all ready made up their minds on if they're going to give it decent support or not, and remember if your worry is about some of the launch issues that you see people complaining about on the internet, if the machine suffers some wide spread massive failure rate, you know that Nintendo will have to address it and fix the problem rather fast.

(Oh, my other issue with the damn thing is that you can't lock the screen with a password so that if some mong does steal it or find it somewhere they have themselves a new console which is fully working and open.... unlike other devices where they get themselves a brick until they at least format your info and lock off there, hope Nintendo bring in a device lock soon, don't like having my CC info on a device which isn't lockable)

TL:DR - The Switches cost will stop the units from being taken outside to give Nintendo free advertising of the device from friends or passers by seeing users enjoying the machine.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Yes. That's why I don't see anyone outside with a smartphone either. Everyone just bringing their old Nokia 3210 while using their Samsung and iPhones at home exclusively.

Would be ludicrous to show $800 devices openly in public. And due to the lack of this free advertising Apple and Samsung are basically on the brink of bankruptcy. Tough times for expensive mobile devices.

They should've made the Switch a $100 device so that no one ever would want to even touch it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I can't even bring my 3DS outside. The switch (when I get it) isn't going anywhere except my bathroom.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I actually balked at bringing it cross country when I traveled to San Francisco last week. I was worried I'd damage it somehow in transit. But I am super obsessive and compulsive when it comes to my video game hardware

I think the more I use it, the more I'll feel comfortable taking it into less controlled environments. I'm actually excited to bring it to Comic Con in October. A lot of that experience is waiting in line. Being able to play Mario Kart 8 with a friend on a single portable screen will be a pretty sweet way to pass the time.

Not me. I use a portable console as a portable console. In the last four years I have ridden the bus a thousand times to and from class. Not yet have I had anything stolen from me, and I live in a moderately sized city and travel at all times of day.

Around the Network
Anfebious said:
I can't even bring my 3DS outside. The switch (when I get it) isn't going anywhere except my bathroom.

Now that you mention it, it would be awesome if the Switch was waterproof.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Anfebious said:

I'll be happy if I can just play with it while I do my bussiness. The Wii U was supposed to do that, but I couldn't even bring it to my room.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I actually balked at bringing it cross country when I traveled to San Francisco last week. I was worried I'd damage it somehow in transit. But I am super obsessive and compulsive when it comes to my video game hardware

I think the more I use it, the more I'll feel comfortable taking it into less controlled environments. I'm actually excited to bring it to Comic Con in October. A lot of that experience is waiting in line. Being able to play Mario Kart 8 with a friend on a single portable screen will be a pretty sweet way to pass the time.

Yeah having played FAST RMX outside split screen using the single Joy Con mode I have to say, that 6.2inch screen is very well suited to Verticle split screen games, even with the speed of FAST RMX it's perfectly playable on half that screen. April 28th is going to be a good day for the switch and sales of the Mario Kart Franchise.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

vivster said:

Yes. That's why I don't see anyone outside with a smartphone either. Everyone just bringing their old Nokia 3210 while using their Samsung and iPhones at home exclusively.

Would be ludicrous to show $800 devices openly in public. And due to the lack of this free advertising Apple and Samsung are basically on the brink of bankruptcy. Tough times for expensive mobile devices.

They should've made the Switch a $100 device so that no one ever would want to even touch it.

lol this xD 

People carry phones, tablets and laptops around that are more expensive than the Switch. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

vivster said:
Anfebious said:

I would imagine that there has to be some level of protection in the unit from water, I would think it's at least splash proof, especially when you consider the fan vent at the top of the unit, considering it's made by the same people who wanted the DS to take a drop from Chest height 10 times without suffering major damage then I would wager that the switch is hardier than it looks.

As for your phone comment up top, can you not tell the difference between the switch and other devices easier than you can tell the difference between a iPhone 6s and a cheap android phone? And sure if there are parents who let their kids go out and play with friends with a 500+ euro phone then they'll be fine letting the same kids run out with the Switch, I'm just saying that from a point of Nintendo creating the 2DS to specifically aim a device at the parent who is cautious about a child destroying a valuable machine, Nintendo Switch is not the machine for that family. It's 4x the price when there is a game present in the machine and the Joy Cons alone would cost more to replace than the 2DS if they were lost by a child.