By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fewer Games is Never a Good Thing

Tagged games:

So it recently came out that Titanfall 2 would be skipping Switch. We saw some Nintendo diehards try to shrug off the news, but listen folks: fewer games is never a good thing.  We also heard that Borderlands 3 will probably never come to Switch. Now maybe you're a Nintendo fan who doesn't care for Borderlands. Well, tough toenails. Borderlands skipping Switch might not have a huge effect on revenue, but it's definitely not a good thing. Why? Because fewer games is never a good thing.

Let me crack an egg of knowledge on you...

Remember when PS4 launched? It had so many games. Sure, most were cross-gen ports, remasters, or "ultimate editions," but think about it. People who never owned a PS3 or X360 now had a chance to play those games. The fact that Flower was playable on PS3 or that Black Flag was playable on WiiU didn't detract from its status on PS4. The important thing is that PS4 supported a lot of games, exclusive or not. Remember: fewer games is never a good thing.

Remember all those Vita critics (most of whom probably didn't own a Vita and never intended to own one) who mocked the system because of all its games were playable elsewhere? Um, who cares? It has a huge library of indie and Japanese "AA" games. The fact that they're available elsewhere is moot. They're also available on Vita, and playable on the go. Would these critics rather the Vita had fewer games? In a world where fewer games is never a good thing, that just doesn't make sense.

Let's go back even further. Remember the Wii launch? Some of you youngins probably don't. One of the big launch games was Twilight Princess, a game that was also releasing on the Wii's predecessor, GameCube (for those of you too young to remember, GameCube was a system with a built-in handle so you could easily throw it in the trash). It turns out most people didn't care that Wii launched with a game due out for GameCube. They were excited about a new Zelda game and excited about the future potential of Wii. Plus folks who wanted a GameCube had long since bought one. Nintendo providing a version of the game to both audiences was kind of cool in an industry in which more games is a good thing, and, conversely, fewer games is never a good thing.

So, this is what I'm getting at: stop defending the indefensible. Switch losing out on games is not something to celebrate. We should ask for more games, even if they're ports, remasters, or "ultimate" editions. We should demand Nintendo secure some cross-gen games, like PS4 and XOne did with Watch Dogs, Destiny, and Call of Duty. Maybe Nintendo could even secure an old game from 2011, like Sony did with DC Universe Online. 

Whatever Nintendo does, it has to do it fast. People won't buy a system with so few games. Fewer games is never a good thing.

Q.E.D.

Around the Network

Agreed 100%. All it would've taken for me to buy the Switch early on was a Smash 4 port, since I didn't buy a WiiU, that couldn't have been that difficult to make, wouldn't it?

Also, I do like Borderlands. Interesting mechanics and colorful instead of the usual brown? Sign me up lol.

i thought this thread was going to be about scalebound.

I really don't care about Titanfall or Borderlands (and I think very few Nintendo fans do), but you're right.
I think Nintendo should make sure that all of the most mainstream games come to the Switch (maybe except for games that don't fit their image, like GTA).

Flilix said:
I really don't care about Titanfall or Borderlands (and I think very few Nintendo fans do), but you're right.
I think Nintendo should make sure that all of the most mainstream games come to the Switch (maybe except for games that don't fit their image, like GTA).

I don't care for Titanfall or today's GTA but Borderlands seems interesting. Shame it ain't coming to Switch.

Whatever the case, there are other games I'd like to look into instead.

Around the Network

Yes all the way.

Well, you're not wrong. But that didn't help Wii U at launch. Fewer games is bad. But more games isn't inherently good. More new games is what a system needs. That's why BotW is good as a multiplat. It's a new game, not a 3 year old port of a game nobody cares about anymore.

As for what Switch will get and won't... it needs to prove itself as a healthy console for 3rd party games. Developers don't really care how underpowered a system is. If there is a market for their game in say, the Vita, they will make as many sacrifices (lower resolution, low framerate, less animations, less effects, blah blah blah) to release that game on the system. If no one will buy it, then there's no reason to port it. Why did PS3 and X360 get so many ports 11 freaking years after they released? It sure as heck wasn't because of their modern architecture and powerful GPUs.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

I will counter that with it doesn't matter how many games a console has if those games don't appeal to the audience that is interested in that device.

While Switch does have a low amount of launch day titles, it looks like it will have a steady stream of Japanese, indie & kid/family titles releasing throughout the year and guess what? These are the types of games that have had success on Nintendo platforms in the last dozen or so years (DS/Wii/3DS/Wii U).

Releasing games with little chance of success on a platform doesn't help anybody, it upsets the developer/publisher when the game fails causing them to lose interest in supporting the platform at all which in tern hurts the platform holder because they now have less support.

Instead of EA supporting Switch with a game like Titanfall or Battlefield, they would be better off supporting it with Plants vs Zombies or Unravel, games that have potential to sell to the 3DS/Wii U audience moving to Switch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Couldn't agree more, is not about "oh well nobody cares about this game anyways" is about giving the consumer as much options as possible.

I don't personally care for 1,2 switch and I think the price is a little too much, yet it's an option that I'm sure some people will consider and probably even buy, and that's good because the more options you offer with your product the more appealing it will be.

Fewer games are preferable when the games announced are so tired, old and done by so many people that they become a huge negative to the console. Versions of games with no other merit than something to add to the library. Especially when prices are set very high and will no doubt sit on retailers shelves gradually getting reductions week by week until finally dumped in the bargain bin and then gradually get torn and dusty which then starts a cycle of retailers refusing to stock all but the biggest Switch games because Switch games normally don't sell. Then the Switch section gets pushed into a small corner that is hard to notice or find because it brings in so little revenue to the store compared to consoles with new and exciting games.