By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So what's the future of the Toys to Life genre?

Tagged games:

So what's the future of the Toys to Life genre?

Due to less competition, ... 6 15.79%

All of them will grow bac... 1 2.63%

This market is inevitably... 13 34.21%

Only amiibo will stay out... 11 28.95%

I don't care about the g... 7 18.42%

Total:38

Out of the four major lineups of NFC-based lines games (Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Nintendo amiibo and Lego Dimensions), two of them have, or are going to, dissapear in the near future. Disney Infinity turned out to be not as profitable for the big D and its closure took down Disney's gaming studios. Activision, after almost a decade of successes with Skylanders, is shutting down the next game due to profits growing smaller and smaller. Only Lego Dimension stays as a traditional NFC game, due to amiibos being tied not to a NFC game, but to their whole catalogue.

Considering how expensive this games are to be created and developed, I'm sure there are going to be no new NFC game anytime soon. So what's going to happen with this series? Will Lego Dimensions and amiibo have a rough time in the future? Will they thrive due to having less competition? What will Disney and Activision with the remaining figurines, now that there are millions of families with access to a bunch of figurines that are going to be obsolete?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

They'll live on forever in VGchartz threads.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

They're toys. Toy manufacturers all know that the overwhelming majority of toy IP have a relatively short time on top. It's expected.

Amiibo has the benefit of die-hard Nintendo fans who collect them but, at the same time, Nintendo has already acknowledged that they've failed so far to catch on with children to the extent that they hoped. Once the novelty wears off, and those Nintendo fans pass on Mario Pose #27, it will fade away, too.

Nintendo should've released a Toys to Life game when the amiibo craze was on fire, but now it's kinda too late for that.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Is the rumour confirmed? Maybe Activision just stop doing annual releases...

Around the Network

I'd say similar to music game (Guitar Hero / Rock Band).

The peak occurred, it is now contracting, will likely go away, and maybe see an attempt or two down the road.

Besides a possible next Skylanders, I doubt we'll get another Toys to Life game or series. They're running out of ideas for new ones.

The only new one I can think of happening is some kind of Skylanders Transformers.

This is why amiibo was smart. Nit's not dependent on any game or any game on amiibo. They are good looking figures for the price. I think more people collect them as a figure. I do. Skylanders well that was on borrowed time to begin with.

SegataSanshiro said:
This is why amiibo was smart. Nit's not dependent on any game or any game on amiibo. They are good looking figures for the price. I think more people collect them as a figure. I do. Skylanders well that was on borrowed time to begin with.

You mean in 2011? Well it borrowed 5 years and over $2b by the 3rd game so I'm sure Activision didn't do too badly with the franchise as a whole, even with the most recent 2 games underperforming.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Skylanders can do an RPG or Pokken type of game.

Lego Dimensions will have legos

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence