By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WTF is a "Day One Edition"?

Tagged games:

Being a relatively skint twenty-something in the year two thousand shitty, I adamantly refuse to purchase games for 60$ dollars.  In the curent market where games release unfinished at full price, only to drop to 45$ in a few months in a finished state, what am I gaining from buying early besides some busted online play with the rest of the suckers?  This isn't even bringing up the "Game of the Year" bollocks they pull 9 months later for 40$ with all the DLC added in.

Enter the "Day One Edition".  I've only seen this in the current gen and considering I don't have a PS4/Xbox, I haven't run in with these things.  Do you gain anything from it?  Is it like those silly preorder bonuses they force feed you with every release?  Does it still work if I buy it on day 2?

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network

It's just another way to incentivize you to leap before you look.

Usually Day One editions have some perk with it.For example, FF Type-0 had FF15 demo with it, and supposedely only the Day One Edition had it.But I have never seen any other type of edition or version out there, so in my honest opinion is just to make the game look fancier.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Yeah, just don't. Unless you really, really love the franchise.

It is the digital lube with which you stroke your e-penis

Around the Network

In a word, marketing.
That's all it is

Stands for exclusive game-breaking bugs.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

It comes with free skins or dlc

I guess it applies to games that come with content not found in posterior versions or downloadables as microtransactions/DLC. As someone mentioned already, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Day One brought you FFXV's Episode Duscae, and so far that's the only way to access it.

Likewise, Dead Rising 3's Day One edition had exclusive skins for the main character based upon Dead Rising 1 and Dead Rising 2 protagonists, and you can't access these skins without the Day One (or via mods on PC).

Bandorr said:
axumblade said:

Same for Final Fantasy Type-0 which from what i heard were the only ones to have the FFXV demo...

The demo actually had an expiration date. So while it may come with it - you can't use the code anymore.

You can look at SSO for example. It comes with a gun, melee weapon, and in-game character outfit.

Looks like just cause 3 comes with "three exclusive weaponized vehicles"

I do think they only come with the physical version though?

I used the code past the date, and it worked, so I don't know if that date listed actually meant anything.