By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Visceral’s Star Wars game will have the “swashbuckling charm” of Uncharted

Tagged games:

That's a lot of red flags. I don't care about narrative structure and separating a story into acts. I care about how the game plays.

Around the Network

Visceral haven't been killed by EA yet but are not making ps4/xb1 dead space?????!!!

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I'm not really a fan of Uncharted but then it only sounds like she's talking about analyzing the source material in the same manner. That's entirely different from saying, "this game will be like Uncharted."

As for "playing a Star Wars film," if that means lots of different alien locations and lots of battles with objectives, then that could be awesome. However, I really hope the "film" I play is like one of the original trilogy.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
That's a lot of red flags. I don't care about narrative structure and separating a story into acts. I care about how the game plays.

What you care is not what everyone cares, thank god for the naughty dogs and Amys of gaming bussiness for all the great storys they make us, all that WITH GREAT GAMEPLAY. Cause you know , you can have one amazing story with great gameplay :)

Yes, what I care about is not what everyone else cares about. So?

And yes there are plenty of games with great gameplay and captivating stories: Deus Ex, Half-Life 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Final Fantasy VI, etc.

But there has been a movement toward cinematic storytelling in video games and it's having a deleterious effect on the industry. Games and movies are too very different media with different goals and storytelling structures. They're not compatible.

This Star Wars game could be good, but Ms. Hennig's comments suggest a deep focus on cinematic storytelling, which, more often than not, interrupts gameplay.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

How is it red flags? This woman only made awesome games so far.

She is amazing at storytelling and this just says she will bring her pedegree work into this new game. It's all sorts of win.

Quite a few saying here: Oh its uncharted star wars. But that is what Star wars 1313 was and people were excited about.

John2290 said:
Oh no, I thought this would be a game that focused on the world and exploration, possibly open world. Now I'm worried, as Amy said, it'll be like playing a movie. Leave that to Uncharted, Tomb raider and all the other action games. This is Star wars! I want to explore the world. We already had a surprisingly linear MP shooter. Why can't we have a game that hanckers back to KOTOR.

Cmon guys pay atention. That isn't Amy's game. That is Jade Raymond's. They are doing two at the same time.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Were you expecting a writer to talk about gameplay? Of course she's focusing on the story and narrative structure - it's her job.

All I remember is that during UC4 production they threw out 8 months of her work.

The title is misleading. She didn't say she was making Star Wars like Uncharted. But rather she's taking the approach to how they adapted Indiana Jones into Uncharted (And the serials that spawned Indiana). She's going to try to adapt Star Wars into, well, Star Wars.

Teeqoz said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Were you expecting a writer to talk about gameplay? Of course she's focusing on the story and narrative structure - it's her job.

Well, yeah. How the story is told through player action, how plot points are discovered through exploration, etc. There are ways the two things can be woven together so it's not just 10 minutes of player interaction, 10 minutes of cutscene, repeated ad nauseum.

If Ms. Hennig wants to make a meaningful story with act breaks and climaxes, why not write a play or a screenplay or a book or a collection of poetry. The more you focus on this narrative arc the more you chip away at the agency of the player. That translates to a poor gaming experience, at least from my point of view. I know some people enjoy games that are story and graphics first, but I'm not one of them.

Nem said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

How is it red flags? This woman only made awesome games so far.

She is amazing at storytelling and this just says she will bring her pedegree work into this new game. It's all sorts of win.

Quite a few saying here: Oh its uncharted star wars. But that is what Star wars 1313 was and people were excited about.

John2290 said:
Oh no, I thought this would be a game that focused on the world and exploration, possibly open world. Now I'm worried, as Amy said, it'll be like playing a movie. Leave that to Uncharted, Tomb raider and all the other action games. This is Star wars! I want to explore the world. We already had a surprisingly linear MP shooter. Why can't we have a game that hanckers back to KOTOR.

Cmon guys pay atention. That isn't Amy's game. That is Jade Raymond's. They are doing two at the same time.

She is a good storyteller; you're right. But I don't care. And I don't care about playing a movie. I want to play a game. Hence the red flags.