By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The best JRPGs of the seventh gen? (BONUS: what about the worst?)

Tagged games:

I know this is probably "one of those" threads that gets made every once in a full moon. But hey, I was just talking about Tales of Zestiria with a friend and I just craved for a bit of JRPG talk. So yeah, simple question:

What are your favourite JRPGs of the seventh gen? Or those you deem "the best"? Any game is valid as long as its existence took place during the Xbox360/PS3/Wii era, and it's not void if it got a port or a remaster to the current gen.

Also explaining why is desirable, but not needed (because I know you all lazy people!)

Let's give this thread a small spin: alternatively, which ones would you consider bad or terrible? Any JRPG you honestly thought it deserve no better place than the bin?

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Demon's Souls.
If it's not JRPG enough for some of you, Disgaea 4.

Congratulations on being lazy!

Fun thread idea!

My pick for best RPG (and best overall game) is Xenoblade Chronocles. In second place is Demon's Souls.

Edit: at the risk of incurring Wright's wrath I will now explain my choices

With its challenging and deep battle system, its focus on exploration and character building, and its beautifully-realized game world, Xenoblade Chronicles is a RPG for the ages. When players aren't fighting off monsters and mechanical warriors with a combination of skills, arts, and ether attacks, they can take on hundreds of side quests, manage "affinity" levels among their party members and the general populations, and craft gems for weapons and armor. The huge amount of things to do, see, and discover in the world in Xenoblade is astonishing.

Set in a medieval kingdom ravaged by demons, Demon's Souls tasks players with exploring several diverse game environments, slaying terrible monsters, and collecting weapons, armor, items, and souls, the currency of the game. It all sounds typical of the genre, but the game is anything but typical. Employing a unique permadeath mechanic, whereby demon slayers who fall in battle are reduced to a weakened "soul form," and an asymmetrical online multiplayer mode, whereby other players can leave behind hints or invade others' worlds, Demon's Souls brings extraordinary features to a fairly common genre. Add to those some memorable music, spectacular level and enemy design, and a steep difficulty curve that makes victory all the more rewarding, and what's left is one of the very best games of the seventh generation. 

The Last Remnant on PC

The World Ends With You

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

Best Xenoblade Chronicles and worst Tales of Xillia 2.  The side quest content is set up so bad in Tales of Xillia 2 and they make it a requirement to do to pay your debt before moving onto the next story segment and the side content isn't even fun, jsut boring item finding and monster killing with no story behind it.  I just wanted to continue with the story but the game made me do hours of boring side quests if I wanted to do that.

Platina said:
The World Ends With You

My favorite DS game, still bummed there was no sequel on 3DS.

Best would probably be Valkyria Chronicles for me since it was quite unique in terms of gameplay

Worst is FFXIII by a mile

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Platina said:
The World Ends With You

My favorite DS game, still bummed there was no sequel on 3DS.

Same here! Would have been amazing if there was a sequel

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

So no handhelds?

Xenoblade
Dark souls