By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The WiiU was not the evolution of the Wii, it was...

Tagged games:

... the evolution of the DS.

It suddenly came to my attention that the WiiU's main selling point is the gamepad. Now, with this new system, you can have two screens to play with. This is the  exact same selling point of the original DS, and it was probably better executed back then (the two screens are close enough to each other to not interrupt the gameplay, like everybody says the gamepad does in StarFox Zero). The Wii was based on motion controlls, and for the WiiU to be a true Wii successor, it should have built on that. Maybe full power gloves, maybe more precise wiimotes, maybe some attemps of VR. That would have built on the original Wii idea. But two screens have nothing to do with motion controlls. For some reason, Nintendo decided to call this system WiiU when really it's the HDS, the DS in HD. But because it has the Wii branding, Nintendo put a decent amount of efford to add motion controlls to a controller it was not adequate for it. The DS was also the strongest brand, selling around 210m units between DS-3DS in contrast to the 113m of the Wii-WiiU. It makes me question what was the original train of thought for the WiiU.

What do you think? Do you think that the gamepad builds on the idea of the Wii or the DS? Do you think it would have been better received as the HDS?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

i agree, thought the same as they showed the wii u off first time.

The Wii U was an attempt to capitalize on the tablet market more than anything else.

Argeed.

A bit of both I think.

Around the Network

I don't know where you got that the gamepad was the Wii U's main selling point, but it's wrong.

I'm now filled with determination.

thatguymarco said:

I don't know where you got that the gamepad was the Wii U's main selling point, but it's wrong.

Of course it was.

Removed

KLXVER said:
thatguymarco said:

Of course it was.

...sure man, whatever you say.

I'm now filled with determination.

Um, sort of. But yeah, it's definitely not an evolution of the Wii, so I'll give this a thumbs up.