By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The future of videogame movies prediction

Tagged games:

Do you think assassin's creed and warcraft be able to be successful enough for movie studios to invest more in videogame movies?

Yes 5 38.46%

No 2 15.38%

The videogame movie curse shall continue 4 30.77%

No opinion just wanna see results 2 15.38%

Total:13

With warcraft releasing in less than a month and assassin's creed later this year I think this is finally the year in which video game movies will not only be critically acclaimed but also a box office success.Both movies seem to be in very safe hands duncan jones(warcraft) and Justin kurtzel(assassin's creed) now my prediction is if both are to beat the video game movie curse and be both a critical and box office success then I believe we will enter a renaissance of videogame movies at least live action ones and even if one bombs and the other is a success I truly believe we'll be getting more and more videogame movies 

Around the Network

Screw both of them, video game movies are a waste to me.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Honestly though i don't think video games are meant too be adapted.I expect both Warcraft and Assassin's Creed too suck them too suck like all video game movies do and Warcraft i think will do better do then Assassin's Creed in the box office at least because at least they weren't stupid enough to release it a week after a Star Wars movie.

There have been some great video game movies
Children of men / Half Life 2
The book of Eli / Fallout 3
The road / The last of us (movie came out first though, no doubt inspired Tlou)
As long as the actual video game story / characters are nowhere to be found they work!

Shiken said:

"Wreck it Ralph" was a pretty decent movie revolving around video game characters.

Sure, the game never actually existed, but I think it tied in video games quite well.

As for adaptations, they'll most likely never be good. For some reason, the directors of these movies go out of their way to make the movie as bad as it can be.

Can't wait to see how bad the five nights at freddy's movie will be...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network

Video games take hours to be played, movies will always be incomplete for gamers, I think videogame companies goal with movies is to bring more regular people into buying the game... Which can work many of the times!

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

You should not ignore Angry Birds. It's getting decent reviews and it looks like it will do pretty well at the box office. While it seems no one around here wants to acknowledge Angry Birds, and I for one rolled my eyes when I first heard this was going to be a movie, if it does well critically and at the box office it will also give a boost to video game adaptations. I don't have confidence in the critical success of Warcraft. Assassin's creed may do well with critics though.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I'm hopeful with the Warcraft movie and think it could do quite well provided Blizz don't screw too much with the continuity. AC could also do well if Ubisoft don't screw with the formula they have used with the games and alter it too much. The fact it's set more with the present day doesn't sound so great though. Couldn't care less about a mobile game like Angry Birds though.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

hershel_layton said:
Shiken said:

"Wreck it Ralph" was a pretty decent movie revolving around video game characters.

Sure, the game never actually existed, but I think it tied in video games quite well.

As for adaptations, they'll most likely never be good. For some reason, the directors of these movies go out of their way to make the movie as bad as it can be.

Wreck it Ralph is not a video game movie, it is a video game themed movie.  HUGE DIFFERENCE

I am speaking of movies based on actual games like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Mario, etc

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
hershel_layton said:

Wreck it Ralph is not a video game movie, it is a video game themed movie.  HUGE DIFFERENCE

I am speaking of movies based on actual games like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Mario, etc

I was basically saying it's video game themed, but with different wording

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.