By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Killer Instinct has grown into the "people's champ"

Tagged games:

I grew up playing fighting games like MK (2,3,Ultimate), SF2 (didn't bother with all other spin offs until SFIV), Virtua Fighters, Tekken, Shaq Fu, etc...

But none of them stuck to me like KI. The combos were insane and over the top, the music was the best on any genre and it was easy to pick up.

I wanted to talk about KI S3 on X1 but this guy did such a good job, I'll have his post here instead:

Season 3 of Killer Instinct dropped a few weeks ago, opening up its potential player base considerably with the long-awaited PC release alongside the first batch of new content for this year. When the KI reboot was first announced as an Xbox One exclusive over two years ago, the general concern among the fighting game community was that its growth and popularity would be hamstrung by its console exclusivity. That concern coexisted with the fact that KI was going to be releasing with a rather paltry amount of content out of the gate with the intentions of supporting it as a F2P service months or even years after the initial release. There was a lot of uncertainty going into KI's bold vision for the future of fighting game content distribution, and after its original developer (Double Helix) left to pursue other avenues at the end of Season 1, things were looking grim for this reboot of a franchise that had been dormant for over 15 years.

But then Iron Galaxy stepped up to the plate for Season 2, and despite some very valid concerns with regard to their pedigree at the time they ended up delivering in a big way. I can't even imagine what it'd be like to try and pick up development on a game like KI after it had been started and then abandoned by a different group altogether. While Iron Galaxy continued to support the game with a wealth of new content throughout Season 2, the game's diehard community remained relatively small compared to the likes of its more popular fighting game brethren (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat... etc.).

Fast-forward to today and the game is as content-rich and poised for greatness as it has ever been. While the game launched all those years ago with a meager cast of six, it has grown nearly four-fold in the span of time since then. FGC notables such as Maximillian, Alex Jebailey, and others have recently taken on professional roles tied to KI. The yearly KI World Cup thrived as a community event earlier this year, showing how dedicated and passionate the pre-Season 3 community already was. And with the PC release, tons of fans (myself included) would finally be able to enter the fray instead of observing from afar due to lack of an Xbox One.

So what is the point of this thread, anyway? Well, I'd say primarily to highlight how much stuff is packed into KI these days that fans of the genre often bemoan the lack thereof in other more popular franchises. Here are some examples of what I mean:
  • Arguably some of the most flawless netcode in the genre
  • Some of the best built-in tutorials for new players of any fighting game
  • A stage to coincide with nearly every character in the game
  • A unique music track for every character in the game
  • Best sound design (music and effects) of any fighting game bar none
  • Lively backdrops with tons of reactive detail responding to things happening during the fight
  • Unique combo mechanics that allow for flashy, custom combos with a relatively low execution barrier
  • Plenty of singleplayer modes (Arcade, Story, Shadow Lab... etc.) with a potentially expansive additional mode coming later this season in the form of Shadow Lords.
  • Combos are an extension of the neutral game, so you're never stuck on the receiving end of a damaging combo without having options to escape. It's a mindgame unique to KI within the genre.
  • Other fun and unique universal mechanics (Shadow Counters, Counter-Breakers... etc.) that add further to the depth of mindgames occurring at a fast pace during a match
  • Lots of character-specific traits and mechanics that make every character extremely distinct from one another
  • A universal comeback mechanic (Instinct Meter) that gives every character a unique buff without being too rewarding for having simply taken damage
  • Fantastic art and animation, albeit sometimes a little inconsistent due to the nature of this game's history across two development teams

If this thread has helped convince even one person to take a chance on KI now that it is more readily available (and free to try with rotating free characters every Wednesday), I'll consider myself happy with it. I couldn't be more pleased with how well it runs on my aging midrange PC (on all max settings, no less), and I'm so hooked on the game right now that all I want is to see the community grow immensely.

For those who have had their curiosity sufficiently piqued, check out this fanmade online Killer Instinct guide to learn more about the game's systems and gameplay.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1206762  

Around the Network

https://giant.gfycat.com/SolidFocusedFly.webm

Amazing game that keeps getting better.

Kl is one if not the best fighting game this generation

It plays different from anything on the market.

Around the Network

Tekken 7 isn't out yet.

jason1637 said:
Kl is one if not the best fighting game this generation

I'm gonna say KI is one of the best fighting games, period.

I say that as someone who has been playing fighting games since the 16-bit era.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

gooch_destroyer said:
Tekken 7 isn't out yet.

I'm sure Tekken 7 will be good, but I don't think its gonna be as fresh as KI.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

My first and most played game on my Xbox one.

Agreed the new KI is really, really well done, the best thing MS ever got from the Rare purchase and the thing wasn't even made by Rare, lol.

Street Fighter V is alright but it just feels tired because Capcom milked the crap out of SFIV. Killer Instinct is the best fighter this gen.