By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Share your naive childhood gaming stories!

Tagged games:

It took me two years to figure out how to play Super Mario 64 properly when I was kid because I didn't know you could start levels by jumping into the painting. To be fair, the game used to belong to my aunt before she let us borrow it and my older brother was a jerk by letting me play after he get a star from a level. I never knew how he got into those levels in the first place so I just ran inside the room until I got bored and gave him back the controller to play. Maybe I bugged him to share the game a lot so he did that to me lol. I think i figured it out when my aunt let us borrow the game and I found the instruction manual. The good news is its one of the first games I've ever played and the first one I ever finished. I also looked forward to reading instruction manuals from that day on... except now they are all digital lol.

What are your guys' childhood stories?

Around the Network

I thought Gen 2 of Pokemon was fake until 2009

StarOcean said:
I thought Gen 2 of Pokemon was fake until 2009

Whoa, like the concept of generation 2 or that there only existed Gen 1 Pokemon in Pokemon universe?

I used to be terrified of the 3rd chapter of Paper Mario: TTYD, I dunno, something about all the crime/mistery atmosphere really shocked me back in the day, and if I remember correctly, the music stopped or changed at a certain point, making it even worse. Kinda funny, considering the 4th chapter is supposed to be the scary one.

I'm now filled with determination.

I spent MONTHS looking for the Silver League in Pokemon Gold and Silver. It makes sense, right? Why does Johto hold it's Pokemon League Championship/Challenge/thing in Kanto?

Around the Network

I remember when I was a wee little scrub, the Ocarina of Time N64 cartridge that I had already had a completed file on it (The story goes that my brother got from a friend). The first things I can claim to have experienced of the game are the title screen and the final boss room. Of course, that was adult Link. When I created my first save file and saw young Link for the first time my mind was absolutely blown.

Also, I sucked really bad at games back then. I couldn't find the Kokiri Sword, much less did I know that I couldn't beat King Bob-omb by throwing him off the mountain in SM64.

bet: lost

Nuvendil said:
I spent MONTHS looking for the Silver League in Pokemon Gold and Silver. It makes sense, right? Why does Johto hold it's Pokemon League Championship/Challenge/thing in Kanto?

It's just a sign that gen II wasn't good enough to have its own League Championship

It's probably because the game was running out of space from including Kanto. Gold and Silver was still running on a GameBoy cartridge and could even be played in black and white in the GameBoy Colorless models.

In Super Mario 64, I was terrified of the Bowser laugh for the locked doors as well at the piano in the Boo House level.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

Both of them were scary moments for me and both were Zelda games. I wasn't scared of Silent Hill or anything like that but I was scared of Dead Hand (The White monster from OoT in the Shadow Dungeon) and the Mummies from Wind Waker. On both accounts I restarted the game or just turned the game off after seeing them. For Dead Hand, I completely started over my game file on the first run and on the second run I had my big bro in the room with me. For the Zombie Mummy things in Wind Waker, I was scared to death when I was exploring the Cabana and saw them in there and that scream...it's so chilling. I don't get scared much anymore, not even pretend but in those days...the feels were real my man.

t3mporary_126 said:
Nuvendil said:

It's just a sign that gen II wasn't good enough to have its own League Championship

It's probably because the game was running out of space from including Kanto. Gold and Silver was still running on a GameBoy cartridge and could even be played in black and white in the GameBoy Colorless models.

Don't be trashin' the greatest Gen ever buddy :P