By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Division Downgrade

Tagged games:

HUD has been changed. There are different cars, different buildings, and different environmental details. The manholes that produced that amazing smoke have been removed.

Global illumination system has been scaled back. The reflection system has also been toned down. The destruction system has been scaled back.

Screenshots here - http://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/tom-clancys-the-division-e3-2013-versus-final-version-comparison-same-scene/#

Around the Network

I'm not seeing any downgrade and if this is supposed to be some joke it's not funny anymore ...

Different =/= Downgrade

The next thing you is know is that people will start claiming that a change in the colour palette's texture will be considered a "downgrade" ...

Yeah, even the map has been downgraded.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

fatslob-:O said:

I'm not seeing any downgrade and if this is supposed to be some joke it's not funny anymore ...

Different =/= Downgrade

The next thing you is know is that people will start claiming that a change in the colour palette's texture will be considered a "downgrade" ...

well changing things up can result into worse visual representation

Ruler said:

Well then I guess we better doom every game that's going to release as "downgraded" ... 

Uncharted 4, Quantum Break, Horizon Zero Dawn, Gears of War 4, etc ...

Around the Network

Some things seem like mere differences, but some things seem like pretty bad downgrades. The new lighting is pretty disappointing compared to the old one, and the textures in some areas somehow seem more boring.

The final product is different than a mockup from three years ago? Goodness.

This is one area where developers have to be very frustrated with the entitlement of some gamers.

(Developer show cinematic teaser video)
"NO! We want gameplay video! Show us gameplay!"
"But ... but this is still early development, so many things will change ..."
"GAMEPLAY!@! STOP LYING TO US WITH CINEMATIC TEASERS!!"
"Okay, then, if this is what you want ... here is some mockup gameplay we put together using projected settings. The finished project is still years away, though, and any number of things--."
"WOW, THANK YOU!"

(Game launches)
"What the hell! This is a downgrade! THE SHADOWS ARE DIFFERENT!!"

fatslob-:O said:
Ruler said:

Well then I guess we better doom every game that's going to release as "downgraded" ... 

Uncharted 4, Quantum Break, Horizon Zero Dawn, Gears of War 4, etc ...

Chaning things up is not the problem with this game. The visuals and enviromnet interaction is a clear downgrade, but hardly unexpected after what we seen with Watch Dogs.

If those other games have downgrades then they deserve to be doomed by the consumer.  

People getting tired of seeing a BIg Mac presented in it's glory only to get a deformed something that resembles the advert.

Cobretti2 said:

Chaning things up is not the problem with this game. The visuals and enviromnet interaction is a clear downgrade, but hardly unexpected after what we seen with Watch Dogs.

If those other games have downgrades then they deserve to be doomed by the consumer.  

People getting tired of seeing a BIg Mac presented in it's glory only to get a deformed something that resembles the advert.

So Tom Clancy's The Division is the same as Watch Dogs ?

Please elaborate on "clear" and be specific too ... 

Welp, changing the shadow position is now a "downgrade" and I guess an object pointing at a different direction is too ...

BraLoD said:

Come on, you are being absurd there.
They choose to show it long ago, they choose to show gameplay, and they didn't delivered something on the same level.
If you don't want people getting back on you don't show something that's not going to be true, you are basically lying to your consumers, just like when you go to a McDonalds, see a nice meal in the ad, buy it and it comes like it was flushed down of a toilet, that's not acceptable.

Show the games when they are decently close to release with final builds them, like Fallout 4 just did, that way we know exactly what we are getting and we can base our expectation on something realistic.

I'm ok with cinematic videos announcement as well, as far as they are not "pretend to be", if somebody watch a cinematic they should know it's cinematic and that's it, that's completely fine, choose gameplay when it's ready to show.

I am being absurd, as it was exaggerated for humor.  However ... you do realize that it's not an advertisement, right?  The McDonalds example does not apply at all.  

Games shown before release are works in progress.  EVERYONE should realize that.

Also, regardless of you being okay with cinematic teasers, they always get complaints.  Everything gets complaints.  No one is going to pull a Fallout 4 with a new IP, either.