By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Father includes gender neutral language into The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Tagged games:

Source is Kotaku.com (Full article here)

Author is Luke Plunkett

Father includes gender neutral language into The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

(Original title: Dad Hacks Zelda So Link Can Be Anyone, Not Just A Boy)

- Complete article and original images on the source.

Reader Tony has a young daughter who, fingers crossed, will soon grow up to play the classics. And when she moves onto The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past, he’s got a little surprise waiting for her.

Aware that as a young boy he got to play through his favourite Zelda games as...a young boy, Tony—inspired by Kenna W’s “Zelda saves Link” hack—has dug into A Link To The Past and “replaced every instance of Link’s male pronouns with gender-neutral language.” Just in case his daughter wants to do the same thing.

It’s a fairly simple flip. “Since Link’s graphical appearance in A Link to the Past is fairly androgynous to begin with,” Tony says, “the only aspect of the game that needed to be ‘fixed’ was all of the in-game dialogue referring to Link as a boy.”

[...]

[...]

“I believe that the public conversation to date on gender-swapped video game hacks has left out the transgendered community and others whose gender identities are more complicated than the simple binary ‘male’ or ‘female’,” Tony tells Kotaku.

“In my gender-neutral hack of A Link to the Past, although Zelda remains female, the protagonist character of Link controlled by the player (and whom the player is supposed to most closely identify with) is completely gender-neutral and can embody whatever gender the player brings to the game.”

Thoughts on this? Gender ambiguous characters have been on the rise lately (most notable example, the playable character in Undertale). I'm cool with this, hopefully Ninty leaves room for imagination with Link on the Zelda U game!

Around the Network

Nope. Just leave it the way it is. What a waste of time.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

ohmylanta1003 said:
Nope. Just leave it the way it is. What a waste of time.

Why is it a waste of time?

Let me off this crazy world

Cool. It's a hacked game, he should be able to do with it as he pleases.

Around the Network

I cant see the necessity of this.... And for me it is somewhat a waste of time

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

But the protagonist, Link, is a boy. Why would he feel the need to change the dialogue? If he had changed the spritework and made Link female, I would kind of understand it.

But is his game, his kid and his time, so I won't complain.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Absurd. Link is a male. Why make him with a neutral gender? Let the father knows that the girl could play Undertale if she wants an example of neutral gender. Link is a man in this game. Why change it?

My brain is melting right now. Stop it already!

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Guys wanted attention, and he got it lol