By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo should have hired Treasure to make Starfox

Tagged games:

What do you think?

Yes, Treasure should have gotten a go 19 41.30%

No, it's better off with Miyamoto + Platinum 27 58.70%

Total:46

I've seen a lot of people say that "at least Wii U is getting a Starfox game, Wii didn't", but if you ask me, Sin & Punishment 2 on Wii, by cult developer Treasure of Ikaruga and Gunstar Heroes fame, was more or less what a modern Starfox should be; a fast-paced, intense, and brutally challenging shooter that sticks to its on-rails roots while upping both the variety and complexity of its setpieces beyond any existing Starfox games. Personally, it impressed me more than anything I've seen so far from Starfox Zero.

I mean come on, how freaking cool would it be to have a Starfox game like this?

What do you think, would Starfox have been better served by getting these guys to handle it?

Around the Network

Nah, get those guys to make a new Sin & Punishment

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I have faith in Platinum, but this idea is cool as fuck. I love the Sin&Punishment games and I think they'd do a very good job.

zorg1000 said:
get those guys to make a new Sin & Punishment

Don't tease me like that, I would drag my dick through a blackberry thicket to play Sin & Punishment 3... :(

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:
get those guys to make a new Sin & Punishment

Don't tease me like that, I would drag my dick through a blackberry thicket to play Sin & Punishment 3... :(

I would pay to watch that

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

See folks? This guy. This guy gets it.

While Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is one of m favorite Wii games of all time
Whilst its one of m favorite game of all time
Whilst its one of those things I mention whenever some tryhard calls the Wiimote a gimmick that added nothing to gaming
Whilst I would LOVE to see more from Treasure.
Whilst I would very well love to see their interpretation of Star Fox
Whilst I would love to play Star Fox with wiimote controls

You don't simply slap an Arwing into a S&P game and say that's how Star Fox should be. For one thing, Star Fox was never simply on rails shooter and people really need to get that out of their heads. Isa and Kacchi a very slow moving throughout most of the game and the action relies on you being slower paced while the enemies swarm you. Movement, traversal and overall gameplay is very different because of that reason.
Yes Star Fox 64 was majorly on rails, but it was never meant to stick to that formula and should never stick to that formula. At best it should be more like Kid Icarus Uprising's flight levels, which if I recall correctly started off as a Star Fox game.
S&P really should get more recognition and installations in the series and in terms of on rails it blows Star Fox out of the water, but Star Fox should never simply aim to emulate it.

Dravenet7 said:
While Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is one of m favorite Wii games of all time
Whilst its one of m favorite game of all time
Whilst its one of those things I mention whenever some tryhard calls the Wiimote a gimmick that added nothing to gaming
Whilst I would LOVE to see more from Treasure.
Whilst I would very well love to see their interpretation of Star Fox
Whilst I would love to play Star Fox with wiimote controls

You don't simply slap an Arwing into a S&P game and say that's how Star Fox should be. For one thing, Star Fox was never simply on rails shooter and people really need to get that out of their heads. Isa and Kacchi a very slow moving throughout most of the game and the action relies on you being slower paced while the enemies swarm you. Movement, traversal and overall gameplay is very different because of that reason.
Yes Star Fox 64 was majorly on rails, but it was never meant to stick to that formula and should never stick to that formula. At best it should be more like Kid Icarus Uprising's flight levels, which if I recall correctly started off as a Star Fox game.
S&P really should get more recognition and installations in the series and in terms of on rails it blows Star Fox out of the water, but Star Fox should never simply aim to emulate it.

Kind of agree, also didn't the canned Star Fox 2 original have full 3D movement as well? I don't think the series was intended to ever be on rails only.

That's a pretty good idea, but in fairness it's not Platinum's fault that Zero seems to be struggling. There's one stubborn old man in charge here, and it's not Kamiya. Also, if Platinum can't do the game right and avoid the touch of Miyamoto, Treasure honestly probably couldn't do much better with the license.

And yes, I know that Iwata's death allegedly essentially stalled Zero's development for the couple months until Kimishima took over because of Miyamoto's added duties, but that's still sort of his fault for not trusting anybody besides himself with a license he hasn't really done right since 64.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Treasure definitely would've been a good candidate, but I don't doubt Platinum games in the slightest either.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."