By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Poll: How many Twilight Princess sales if GC-exclusive?

Tagged games:

How many Twilight Princess sales if GC-exclusive?

less than 3.5 million units 22 26.83%

3.5 - 4.5 million units 26 31.71%

4.5 - 5.5 million units 23 28.05%

5.5 - 6.5 million units 5 6.10%

6.5 - 7.5 million units 4 4.88%

7.5 - 8.5 million units 0 0%

8.5 - 9.5 million units (no lost sales) 1 1.22%

more than 9.5 million units 1 1.22%

Total:82

There is a discussion if the total sales of Twilight Princess would have been affected, if Nintendo had chosen to keep it GameCube-exclusive.

So what's your opinion? How many GameCube versions would have been sold in this scenario? (Wii launch still in November 2006, Twilight Princess GC release also in 2006, perhaps a few months earlier) 

Would everyone Wii owner have bought the GC version (and a GameCube controller) instead, so the total sum of ~9 milion units wouldn't have been affected at all, would a few Wii owners have ignored that title or would would have many Wii owners have ignored that title (only Wii games on their radar or reluctance to buy "old system"-titles)?

A few comparison data:

• 1998: Ocarina of Time = 7.60m (after gaining cult status as "best game ever" and the first 3D-Zeda
  • 2000: Majora's Mask = 3.36m (1 platform)
  • 2002: Wind Waker = 4.60m (1 platform)
  • 2006: Twilight Princess = 8.84m (2 platforms)
  • 2011: Skyward Sword = 4.05m (1 platform)

Around the Network

Around Wind Waker numbers or maybe slightly less.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Would have sold a bit less than Majora's Mask. At that point the GaceCube was completely dead, and only hardcore Zelda fans would have bought it. The Wii and the fact that Twilight Princess was a launch title helped Twilight Princess come into a lot of people's radar.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

I would said 4-5m, so definitely much lesser than actual GC and Wii numbers combined.

5m probably

Around the Network

I'll say around 4.5m.

Less than 3 million. Nintendo wouldn't have wanted TP to hold back the Wii, so even if the game sold well, they would have stopped pushing it.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

At least half of the actual sales.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

3.9 - 4.5M I'd say.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Less than or equal to WW

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988