By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Sonic the most resilient character ever?

Tagged games:

Will Sonic ever die?

Yes 12 13.04%

No 39 42.39%

Already dead 41 44.57%

Total:92

If there was a man named Call of Duty, I'd name him just as resilient.

But in all seriousness, as someone who kinda hates Sonic, it is pretty impressive that he's still alive after catastrophes such as Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06, and Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric.

I guess it's cause games like the original triolgy on Genesis are just so iconic, Adventure 1 and 2 were pretty impressive at the time, and somewhat more recent games like Colors and generations got pretty good reception, with Generations being my fav Sonic game of all time, so whenever Sonic games are good, they stick out.

Also, the Sonic fanbase is easily one of the more crazier fanbase out there, and if the series were ever to be stopped, no doubt that there would be bloodshed throughout the entire internet.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

After all this years, it's still the face of Sega. And as long as Sega is around, it won't go away. Also, it has almost as much nostalgia-power as Mario.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Yes. Heres why: Sonic is the only character who's game design is still his own. Where else can you find a game like Sonic?

Tons of mario clones
MegaMan clones
Castlevania clones

But how many Sonic clones? If you want high speed platforming Sonic is still the only place to get it. Thus his value is retained unlike something like all these shooters and open world games which all offer the same experience.

mZuzek said:
I agree.

I was shocked to find out that kids nowadays still know who Sonic is and still think he's the coolest. After so many bad games, going third party, and apparently becoming almost irrelevant, I would have thought kids today wouldn't give a crap, but they still do.

This.  It's amazing that Sonic just keeps going, and not in a fad way like Ninja Turtles do by poping up every 4 to 5 years just to go and die again for the same amount of time.

The fan base is utterly bananas and kids always like Sonic.  Also it might be something to do with how Sonic keeps changing in art style over the years.

1991:

1998:

2006:

2013:

I suppose he changes with the times and keeps finding a way to fit in and stay relevant.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

Cooler than the earth is blue.

Around the Network

Bahamut from FF has been f*cking with me for nearly 30 years.

Plus special mentions need to go to:

and...

Perhaps the nature of the Internet keeps sanic Sonic going too.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

BraLoD said:
Xxain said:
Cooler than the earth is blue.

Sonic avatars just help my point xD

I would never leave Sonic side. If I had to choose between FF15,S05, Shenmue 3, FF7R, Legend of Dragoon 2, Legaia 3, DQ11, Crash revival,or Sonic.. I would choose Sonic. 

BraLoD said:
only777 said:
mZuzek said:
I agree.

I was shocked to find out that kids nowadays still know who Sonic is and still think he's the coolest. After so many bad games, going third party, and apparently becoming almost irrelevant, I would have thought kids today wouldn't give a crap, but they still do.

This.  It's amazing that Sonic just keeps going, and not in a fad way like Ninja Turtles do by poping up every 4 to 5 years just to go and die again for the same amount of time.

The fan base is utterly bananas and kids always like Sonic.  Also it might be something to do with how Sonic keeps changing in art style over the years.

1991:

suppose he changes with the times and keeps finding a way to fit in and stay relevant.

The first is still my favorite.

Personally I like the 1993 Japanese Sonic CD Anime style.  This is what needs a come back:

I think that's fair.