By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo 5 sales analysis (update week 2 and LTD)

Tagged games:

Around the Network

Yeah this proves it's no longer the flag ship shooter on xbox. Cod on xbox alone soundly beats it.

Would you mind doing an analysis between this launch and the previous launches?

BTW when comparing halo to other Xbox titles digital isn't much of a factor because those titles had digital too.

And Halo likely got much more bundles then them. Which is an advantage over the others. For example halo 5 will be bundle with a lot of Xbox's but black ops 3 won't.

Good work Kai Master!
Halo 5 did really meh...

Around the Network

Not surprising CoD outsold it, it's been outselling Halo on Xbox for years now.

Kai Master said:
OneKartVita said:

Would you mind doing an analysis between this launch and the previous launches?

BTW when comparing halo to other Xbox titles digital isn't much of a factor because those titles had digital too.

And Halo likely got much more bundles then them. Which is an advantage over the others. For example halo 5 will be bundle with a lot of Xbox's but black ops 3 won't.

I would have, but it takes too much time. I would also like to analyse the percentage of the installed base for the launches, etc. I think I'm a bit lazy ^^

From what I've seen, this Halo launch is weak (the worst of all Halo launches but better than Halo: MCC).

I think your analysis should focus on why halo is now weak and cod dominant.  Halo 3 was the peak but it launch before cod fever took over.  Cod4 launched shortly after halo 3 and slowly turned into the king of shooters.  Mw2 sealed it's fate as the king.  

At first I thought Halo 5 sold horribly, which is true if you just compare it to its predecessors and take nothing else into account. But as you said, looking at sales of other games it actually didn't do so terribly.

Halo has held up better than the two other major yearly(which is what Halo has become) franchises from last gen.
2012 360 vs 2015 XB1 sales

Halo 4 - 3,662,557
Halo 5 - 1,457,849
60% drop in sales

Assassins Creed III - 1,568,017
Assassins Creed Syndicate 257,789
83% drop in sales

Black Ops 2 = 4,558,055 (US+UK+GER)
Black Ops 3 = 1,690,482 (US+UK+GER)
63% drop in sales

Halo is certainly down from it's peak in the Halo 2/Halo 3 days, but this decline happened a long time ago with Halo: Reach, whose first week sales were lower than Halo 3 despite a 4x increase in install base. Halo 5 sales reflect that decline without the massive install base difference that allowed Halo Reach and Halo 4 to stay close to Halo 3. If sales for Halo 6/7 continue to improve as the install base increases, I think Halo is in a decent spot. If sales stagnate at the 1.5mil first week mark, then this decline is a big problem for Microsoft as their biggest exclusive becomes just a mid-tier title.

I don't see why this is a big deal.

Its selling fine for the install base on XO. Call it mainline or whatever, but I think 343i should have been straight up with what Halo 5 is. A spinoff nothing more.

Better marketing, better trailers, more promising gameplay features etc will be sure to help Halo 6.