By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros 4 Wii U/3DS DLC Model: Good or Bad?

Tagged games:

Nintendo has been embracing DLC for a while now. It's being incorperated in all their major titles and with the addition of amiibos, it has been expanded further. There are a few games where most agree that Nintendo used the right formula for DLC such as Mario Kart 8. It was priced well and added a lot of content. But on the other hand, there are other games where DLC is overused and are notably Fire Emblem 13 and Super Smash Bros 4.

Currently, Nintendo has released 4 DLC waves for Smash and it is definitely not the end yet. I'll be sticking with USD so I don't need to list out so many variants. Each wave contains mii costumes, new DLC characters and stages. As there are 2 versions of the game, you can buy DLC for both versions at a discounted price (price will be bracketed), though it still remains really pricey.

Pricing for individual DLC bits is rather simple:
- DLC Character* $3.99 ($4.99)
- Mii Costume $0.75 ($1.15)
- Mii Costume Pack $6.00 ($9.20)
- Past Stage $1.99 ($2.99)
- New Stage $2.49 ($3.49)

*Where Ryu is an exception as he comes with a stage $5.99 ($6.99)

Wave 1: Mewtwo, 8 Mii Fighter Costumes
- Collection Price $9.99 ($14.19)

Wave 2: Roy, Lucas, Ryu, 2 Stages, 8 Mii Fighter Costumes
- Collection Price $21.96 ($29.16)
- Fighter Bundle $17.96 ($21.96)

Wave 3: 2 Stages, 8 Mii Fighter Costumes
- Collection Price $9.98 ($15.18)

Wave 4: 2 Stages, 7 Mii Fighter Costumes
- Collection Price $9.73 ($13.53)
Since this wave has one less Mii Fighter, the price is cheaper. Also, the 3DS bundle is cheaper.

Nintendo also has recently announced a Digital Complete Pack which contains the first 3 waves of DLC included with the game
The Wii U bundle is priced at $99.99 while the 3DS version is $79.99

MSRP for Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS are $59.99 and $39.99, respectively

[Source] [Source 2] [Source 3]

- Opinion Side -

As you can see, if all 4 waves are purchased for just one version of the game, it will already exceed $50, which is already close to the cost of the original game. If you are planning to get the mega bundle version, you will still have to buy Wave 4 for around $10 meaning that you would save around $20. These prices are still really expensive and I feel that these prices are going overboard.

I've only gotten the Wii U/3DS version of Roy and Ryu, got Mewtwo via promo, and though I'm tempted to get more stages (especially the 8 player ones), it's too expensive. Probably not going to buy anymore DLC unless it genuinely interests me..

That said, I don't feel that the Smash DLC is truly horrendus, as the DLC is still Extra Content. Mii Fighter Costumes are purely asthetics and serve no other purpose, which I'm sure many don't even consider purchasing. None of the new content is required for play and you can complete the game (define as you like) without the new add ons. Being able to play as extra characters and stages would be great, but without DLC, they would not even exist. If they were to be incorperated in the game in the first place, Smash could have been delayed or had a increase in price, so it really depends on how you look at it.
Boasting with over 50 characters, Smash 4 has already a wide range of characters with varying movesets to choose from so I have gotten plenty of enjoyment without the extra characters and stages.

What do you think of Smash DLC, is it worth it or not? Let me know what you think!

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

I think Mii Costumes are generally overpriced for what they are, and that the volume is borderline abusive. That said, I think the practice of locking any content behind amiibos is infinitely more poisonous than having a few too many Mii costumes in Smash.

My opinions are all over the place when it comes to Smash DLC.

Character DLC costing money makes sense, as it's pretty much the main reason why we play Smash. For us to have these new tools in our hands, we should be expected to pay for them. My only problem is that I think that DLC characters need to be good characters to be worth anything. Lucas, Roy, and Ryu are very good characters IMO, but Mewtwo isn't and is currently considered one of the worst characters in the game. I don't think it makes sense to make us pay money for a character that is considered weak.

Costume DLC is kinda pointless to me, it's a nice thing, but it's not something I'm gonna pay a couple dollars for. If that's your thing, great, but I'm not one to pay my money on stuff like that. If you ask me, it should've just been added as free unlockables.

Stage DLC is my biggest gripe. IMO, we shouldn't have to pay money for stages, I just think it's ridiculous. Even if it should cost something, I think stages are overpriced, they should be around the same cost as costume DLC, at the very least.

It all varies if you ask me, and some content is just worth more than others.

Also, I think it's kinda dumb that Nintendo hasn't announced a GOTY version of the game, that comes with all the DLC and game at regular retail price, just saying.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ultrashroomz said:

My opinions are all over the place when it comes to Smash DLC.

Character DLC costing money makes sense, as it's pretty much the main reason why we play Smash. For us to have these new tools in our hands, we should be expected to pay for them. My only problem is that I think that DLC characters need to be good characters to be worth anything. Lucas, Roy, and Ryu are very good characters IMO, but Mewtwo isn't and is currently considered one of the worst characters in the game. I don't think it makes sense to make us pay money for a character that is considered weak.

Costume DLC is kinda pointless to me, it's a nice thing, but it's not something I'm gonna pay a couple dollars for. If that's your thing, great, but I'm not one to pay my money on stuff like that. If you ask me, it should've just been added as free unlockables.

Stage DLC is my biggest gripe. IMO, we shouldn't have to pay money for stages, I just think it's ridiculous. Even if it should cost something, I think stages are overpriced, they should be around the same cost as costume DLC, at the very least.

It all varies if you ask me, and some content is just worth more than others.

Also, I think it's kinda dumb that Nintendo hasn't announced a GOTY version of the game, that comes with all the DLC and game at regular retail price, just saying.

You do bring up another important point about balancing. Having DLC characters stronger than others would also bring in the issue of 'pay to win' as you would need to buy the better tiered characters. Because let's be honest, there is no way all characters 50+ are going to be balanced :p
But at the same time, having weak characters as DLC would not incentivize people to purchase them..

If stages were cheaper/free, would that mean other things would cost more, or cause less DLC stages to come out as they are not making anything from them? I, too, would really like for stages to be free, but there is always a cost..

The Digital Bundle is probably the closest thing we are going to get to the GOTY version for a while ;)

| |

Platina said:

You do bring up another important point about balancing. Having DLC characters stronger than others would also bring in the issue of 'pay to win' as you would need to buy the better tiered characters. Because let's be honest, there is no way all characters 50+ are going to be balanced :p
But at the same time, having weak characters as DLC would not incentivize people to purchase them..

If stages were cheaper/free, would that mean other things would cost more, or cause less DLC stages to come out as they are not making anything from them? I, too, would really like for stages to be free, but there is always a cost..

The Digital Bundle is probably the closest thing we are going to get to the GOTY version for a while ;)

Yeah, with Lucas, Roy, and Ryu, I think they made a good balance with making characters that are definitely viable, but not broken either. Mewtwo is just the one exception that is flat out bad.

I understand that stages need to cost money, or we wouldn't have them, I just think they should cost a bit less.

And yea, the digital bundle wil have to do, but a GOTY version would be nice for those who want to get into the game now.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

The characters, I've got no problem with, and I can understand because whenever a new character is introduced into the roster via DLC, that requires tweaking, changing, and putting more resources into adjusting the main roster as a way of balancing the overall roster, which as a result, changes the overall game-play experience drastically.
Mii Costumes and Stages however, are overpriced, especially the Mii Costumes.
Considering how Splatoon gives all the new stages and outfits for free via updates, and this is really key considering how the outfits and costumes in that game have a much bigger impact on the game-play experience than Smash Bros. does.
I just think cosmetic things like that should be free.
Am I spoiled by Splatoon? Maybe, I am.
But if that game is giving their stages and outfits out for free, what's Sakurai's excuse?

PAOerfulone said:

The characters, I've got no problem with, and I can understand because whenever a new character is introduced into the roster via DLC, that requires tweaking, changing, and putting more resources into adjusting the main roster as a way of balancing the overall roster, which as a result, changes the overall game-play experience drastically.
Mii Costumes and Stages however, are overpriced, especially the Mii Costumes.
Considering how Splatoon gives all the new stages and outfits for free via updates, and this is really key considering how the outfits and costumes in that game have a much bigger impact on the game-play experience than Smash Bros. does.
I just think cosmetic things like that should be free.
Am I spoiled by Splatoon? Maybe, I am.
But if that game is giving their stages and outfits out for free, what's Sakurai's excuse?

Yes, I really like Splatoon constant updates with new stages and gear with no additional cost, though getting the game at day 1 was rather lacking with all the locked content :/

Though I'm assuming they didn't do it for Splatoon since Smash is a well established IP and they don't want to turn away potential sales due to DLC content for Splatoon

Very interesting points, everyone!

| |

Characters are priced more than fairly. Costumes are decently priced but are gonna be a tad oversaturated when all is said and done.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Characters are well priced, mii customs should not exist and stages should be free.

I have a problem with this whole dlc practice on Smash in general. It's mostly the price for me. Almost 5 USDs for one character on both systems is too much. Playstation allstars did it right having 2 characters at 5 dollars. Ninten should really have separate packs like character specific, stages, and mii costumes. That would be more fair. Some stages I feel should be free, such as the N64 ones. Sure, it took work to bring them to smash, but they're mostly the same stages from 64. Seems cheap to ask for money on old stages like that.

Overall, I think the dlc in Smash has not been done well : /

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread