By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BraLoD catching up with the classics: Chrono Cross

Tagged games:

Chrono Cross is a good game that gets too much hate, though I will agree that Chrono Trigger is better! Hope you enjoy it in any case.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
AZWification said:

Chrono Cross is a good game that gets too much hate, though I will agree that Chrono Trigger is better! Hope you enjoy it in any case.

I think the Chrono part is what got the game hate. But if you take Chrono Cross as a standalone title, it is still up there with the much better RPGs. I think there was just too much expectation on it being much better than Chrono Trigger, which not many games are ever going to be able to pull off.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Hiku said:
The music is probably the one element that stands out the most to me in this game. It has a fantastic soundtrack, just like Chrono Trigger. But Cross has more orchestral music thanks to CD technology.

Chrono Trigger's soundtrack is very orchestral, made all the more impressive from the fact that it is being generated by a chip. You can clearly tell a lot of the instrumentation though. I think the only other 16 bit title to get such an orchestral sound was Super CastleVania IV.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Chrono Cross doesn't include time travelling in it's storyline... it's all about parallel dimensions. The story is a bit of a mess but that's true in any other JRPG.

You only level up after bosses, and I think the only good thing it does is expanding the element chart. You don't even need to grind!

You get a lot of characters in the game btw and each one of them has 2 or 3 special skills. It's pretty cool actually but you can't get everyone in the first playthrough.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Chrono Cross does get unfairly compared to Chrono Trigger quite often which in most cases will not end well but it's a good game! I hope you enjoy it like I did the first time, some odd 15 years ago!

Around the Network

Enjoy. I think Chrono Trigger, FF6, and Dark Souls are the best rpgs, but I still liked Chrono Cross. I just think it needed more polish and time and maybe even a boost up to being a ps2 game. Still, it has a hauntingly beautiful soundtrack, great aesthetics, and I love the playable character aspect that they throw at you later in the game. I thought it was really cool.

Hi

MikeRox said:
AZWification said:

I think the Chrono part is what got the game hate. But if you take Chrono Cross as a standalone title, it is still up there with the much better RPGs. I think there was just too much expectation on it being much better than Chrono Trigger, which not many games are ever going to be able to pull off.

I agree, which is probably why is a good thing that Square Enix doesn't want to make a new Chrono game!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Great game. One of PS1's best OSTs as well

Hiku said:

And they could do things like add vocals to orchestral music, which often compliment each other nicely. Like in the song Radical Dreamers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBE3c9X0BoA (BraLoD, you shouldn't listen to this song yet.)

High quality version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeJGUP7TqG0

Complete soundtrack (listening to it right now): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnKNwBVG5Yw