By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Review Thread - MC: 93/ GR: 91.59%

Tagged games:

Some more:

Destructoid: 9/10

The principle reason I was able to acclimate so quickly is Kojima and his team have made the game fun to play almost at all times. Nearly every situation can either be taken head-on by knocking down the front door, by stealth, or any combination therein. By researching different weapons and tools in Mother Base, you'll have the option to equip hundreds of different loadout variations, and face challenges in completely different ways.

Examiner: 5/5

It’s difficult to put into words what it means to have Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain here at last. It’s difficult to put into words what it means for a global community to finally have one of the most storied franchises back once more. It is, however, not difficult to say that Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is the best game of the year so far.

GameInformer: 9.25/10

Hideo Kojima’s original Metal Gear was a top-down, screen-by-screen stealth title. Compared to the massive and ambitious world of The Phantom Pain, it’s hard to believe both games are products of the same creative mind. A series can’t survive this long without evolving, and The Phantom Pain is a testament to the importance of taking risks. An open world, a customizable base, a variable mission structure – these are not traditional aspects of Metal Gear, but they are what makes The Phantom Pain such an exceptional game. The gameplay, storytelling, and protagonists in Metal Gear may shift with each new installment, but Kojima’s ability to surprise and enthrall gamers remains unchanged.

Gamespot: 10/10

There has never been a game in the series with such depth to its gameplay, or so much volume in content. The best elements from the past games are here, and the new open-world gameplay adds more to love on top. When it comes to storytelling, there has never been a Metal Gear game that's so consistent in tone, daring in subject matter, and so captivating in presentation. The Phantom Pain may be a contender for one of the best action games ever made, but is undoubtedly the best Metal Gear game there is.

Kotaku: No Score - Full Review Coming Soon

After more than 30 hours with the newest Metal Gear Solid, I’m convinced that Phantom Pain the best Metal Gear yet, a game with extraordinary scope, inimitable style, and some of the most satisfying sneaking and creeping I’ve ever performed either in a video game or IRL. Particularly diehard fans might be miffed at how far The Phantom Pain has strayed from the formula established by Hideo Kojima’s first few Metal Gear Solid games, but in my eyes, just about every change is welcome.

Polygon: No Score - Full Review Coming Soon

The Phantom Pain's story is, like other Metal Gear Solid games, complex — and frustrating in that complexity. It can be clumsy, silly and puerile, but we're still hooked. There are dozens of audio tape conversations we've listened to to flesh out the backstory, with dozens more still to soak in. Without a doubt, this game has series creator Hideo Kojima's touch throughout, a fact we're reminded of the dozens of times the game says The Phantom Pain was directed and produced by Kojima.

Around the Network

Looking very good, also pretty cool that reviews are coming now already, will give Until Dawn some breathing room :P

You might want to put this up too

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-review/1900-6416224/

Edit: You guys are fast.

95 metacritic so far. Will almost certainly go down slightly, but amazing scores and a great sign-off for Kojima.

And even more:

Respawn 10/10

Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain is quite possibly (more than likely) the last hurrah from Kojima in this franchise and from the level of detail, the brilliant cinematography style missions to the massive expansion of gameplay with Mother Base management – he’s going out with a bang. The introduction of the game was really powerful and basically took that level of momentum throughout the entire campaign. It’s incredible to see the amount of work gone into this title and you can see Kojima and the team really poured their soul into this game to give it character. This is simply one of the best games I’ve played this year.

Metal Gear Informer 10/10

For a series that has been around since 1987 to constantly reinvent itself and stay relevant is an accomplishment in itself. But to totally break what you expect a game can do for you emotionally & mentally – and at the end of the day have fun with it and give you legitimate joy – is something special.

The Daily Dot 5/5

Aside from being a mildly engrossing troop management feature, Mother Base acts as a narrative precursor to Big Boss’ Outer Heaven fortress. It’s just one of a number of key elements in The Phantom Pain that adds gravitas to the events that preceded this chapter in Big Boss’ stor—and the known Metal Gear-related incidents that have yet to come. It takes talent to make the player think that a game director is “phoning in” a story only to realize later that every narrative beat had some degree of meaning. It’s only when I completed the story that I realized that every scene that made me rub my chin in puzzlement is a proverbial breadcrumb that offers a new perspective upon second viewing. A couple revelations are even significant enough to make one rethink the series as a whole. This is one of those rare instances where marathoning a game series is more meaningful after the latest sequel is released, not before.

GameTrailers 9.3/10

Even completely removed from the story, though, the Phantom Pain is exceptional. Metal Gear has never felt this good. Although it uses the same control setup as Ground Zeroes, you’re given so much more freedom as a player. By investing in Mother Base, your home of operations, you can develop a

EGM 9.5/10

Even Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain’s missteps show a certain boldness that is absent from the big budget games space. It is unafraid to experiment, not just on the franchise’s structure, but on mechanics readily established as standards in the industry. Delivering the most realized open-world stealth game to date in addition to the customizability for players to approach every challenge however they see fit, The Phantom Pain not only changes the rules of the Metal Gear Solid series, ultimately altering the trajectory of the franchise, if it does continue, while simultaneously changing the idea of what can be accomplished with an open world game, both narratively and mechanically.

Destructoid 9/10

Despite the fact that I hit a few snags along the way, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain feels like a simultaneous celebration of the series, and a decidedly new chapter. It's equal parts tough and flashy, and it's fitting that if this is Kojima's last Metal Gear, he goes on a high note.

Press Start 9/10

I must also praise Kojima for offering up a game that is not simply engaging and cinematic, but is one that also grants the player some agency in how the story plays out. From the start, I was hooked, despite this being my first foray into the Metal Gear franchise. That being said, while the game serves as a sequel to Ground Zeroes, it works equally just as well as a standalone.

Rocket Chainsaw Impressions Only

We left our session wanting more time with Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. From the amazing attention-grabbing opening sequence to the classic stealth gameplay and lively open-world, there is certainly a lot to be excited about from this latest (editor: and last Kojima) entry. There is no doubt that it is going to be loved by both veterans and newcomers to the Metal Gear franchise.

Around the Network

Wait, I thought it was going to be disappointing? Hasn't that been the narrative lately?

That Polygon review looks about what I would expect from Polygon.

So far so good, not that I have any doubt it will be a masterpiece though I'm sad this game could be the last MGS.

Fuck yes!! game is going to be insanely good!!

Pretty much what I expected, it is MGS after all (and possibly the last one).

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Shocking to see Metal Gear Informer give MGSV a ten.