By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thoughts on Skyward Sword?

Tagged games:

Just bought Skyward Sword about a week ago from Amazon. Recently, I watched video reviews of the game and I was interested in playing it. However, this game is pretty divisive among the Zelda fanbase. I'm not the biggest Zelda fan and the only games I've beaten are OoT, WW and TP (WW being my fav). But I want to give SS a shot.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the game? Amazing or dissapointing? The best Zelda, the worst, or somewhere in the middle? Pros and cons?

Around the Network

Its alright.

The first few hours of the game are awful, boring as hell, if you get passed that its a solid adventure game with some neat ideas here and there.

It's the worst of the 3D ones for me.

It's a good game but not as good as any of his 3D brothers, give it a shot.

By the way WW is also my favorite

I love the game, the first 5 hours are kinda like a tutorial but the game has the best storytelling of the franchise, interesting mechanics and a lot of gameplay value, haters gonna hate but trust me, the game is not bad like the internet says.

As a bonus, my favorite theme :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7supjjZZJA

It's pretty good for me. It's somewhere in the middle as far as 3D Zelda games go for me. It's better than Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, but worse than Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, imo. The first few hours are really tedious and boring and for awhile when I got the game, the beginning kept me from finishing it. Eventually, I got through the beginning and afterwards, it's a really good game. It has some of the best dungeons in all of Zelda imo, but it's a bit linear and there's a lot of backtracking. Also, the motion controls get to be overdone and annoying at times, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the game. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

Around the Network

I loved the motion controls, story,dungeons, boss fights, and other innovations/additions to the series. I disliked the over world and linearity, as well as puzzle Zelda.

MM> TP> WW > SS > OoT

Worse console zelda I have played. Did not like the motion controls + stamina meter + lengthy ass handholding + Fi and a few more things.

That doesn't mean its a bad game, just didn't make me cover my wall with white stuff

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Controls/story best of all the zeldas, great dungeons, only downside is visitng the same areas again and empty world with not a lot to do when exploring.

It's the shittiest Zelda game ever made. And yes, I'm including the Zelda CD-I games when I make that statement. At least those games were so bad that they were entertaining. Skyward Sword is just... bad.

Why am I saying this? For the following reasons...

- The artstyle is shit. Impressionist my ass...

I've seen better looking gamecube games. Case in point:

- The game doesn't have an overworld, it's divided in sections which you will revisit over and over in the game. This game has more backtracking than Metroid.

- Sky loft feels incredibly empty. Only the town feels alive.

- The game's world feels artificial. Where are the gorons? Where are the Zora? Where are the towns or cities these races live in?

- The motion controls suck. I can't count the amount of times where I had to recalibrate the wii motion controller and no I didn't waggle it...

- The whole game was way too formulaic. Complete a Silent Realm, enter new area, dowse for hidding objects that are needed to progress, complete pre-dungeon puzzle, complete dungeon, rinse and repeat.

- Dowsing is the most boring mechanic ever introduced in a Zelda game.

- Silent Realms give me chest pains because of my anxiety disorder (the sole reason why I quit playing the game at the silent realm in the volcano area).

- Shields that can break are stupid.

- You have to fight the forbidden over and over again in this game (again, too formulaic).

- It retconned the origin story of Link's cap in The Minish Cap. Which is a much better game.

- Fi is the most annoying companion in video game history.

Up with the best zelda games. Suck it haters