By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What would have happened if the WiiU Gamepad were a peripheral for the Wii?

Tagged games:

What would have happened if the WiiU Gamepad were a peripheral for the Wii?

It would have given new l... 1 4.00%

It would have given new l... 1 4.00%

It would have had moderat... 7 28.00%

It would have been a comm... 9 36.00%

It would have been so suc... 0 0%

You're a mad man. A MAD MAN. 7 28.00%

Total:25

Imagine this scenario: Nintendo needs time to develop their successor for the Wii, but the sales for Wii are going down quickly. Nintendo decides to create the Wii Gamepad. A controller that has a screen and you could use to play your Wii content on it. It has no motion controll tech on it, it's just a Wii Classic controller with a screen. Nintendo decides to release it to keep the Wii alive for one or two more years while they develope their next machines. If I remember correctly, people talked a lot about the real WiiU Gamepad when the WiiU was announced, even if they mistook it for a Wii peripheral. In this scenario, they are right, and the thing is released to the market at the same price as the Wii Fit Board, and includes a Wii Gamepad Party, maybe Nintendo makes a deal with a company like Netflix or Amazon to give a free subscription for a year, making the Wii+Gamepad attractive as an entertaiment device.Nintendo then uses the time given by the Gamepad to make their machine.

What do you think it would have happened? Would the Gamepad have been a success, or a failure?  Would their 8th gen console have faired better than the WiiU, or worse? How would the competition have reacted?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I don't think it would have turned out too well... The gamepad uses a streaming technology that is both in the console and on the gamepad in order to achieve its zero latency streaming but considering that the wii had wireless G... Not only would it have not been able to achieve the 1:1 streaming that the wiiU gamepad can achieve, there would be a noticeable lag between the gamepad and the wii. On top of that, online games would also lag since the terrible wireless G would have to split its bandwidth between the wii's online and the gamepad stream

Now if you mean like a standalone gamepad sorta deal, that also wouldn't work since majority of the wii's games use motion controls. And not to mention that the graphics would be esssh and if they are making games for the wii in order to keep it alive, that means they aren't really making games for their next gen console.

And of course, if they made an entirely new wii with a gamepad, it would cause confusion up the ass since the gamepad won't be compatible with the original wii and of course, if the new wii has better graphics, then what the tits is the difference between a wiiU and a wii?

And there are other factors and etc so yea, I wouldn't have done the wii + gamepad thing at all

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

It isn't??

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I think it would do worse than it is now

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I honestly dont know how it would went

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

I don't think it would have turned out too well... The gamepad uses a streaming technology that is both in the console and on the gamepad in order to achieve its zero latency streaming but considering that the wii had wireless G... Not only would it have not been able to achieve the 1:1 streaming that the wiiU gamepad can achieve, there would be a noticeable lag between the gamepad and the wii. On top of that, online games would also lag since the terrible wireless G would have to split its bandwidth between the wii's online and the gamepad stream

Now if you mean like a standalone gamepad sorta deal, that also wouldn't work since majority of the wii's games use motion controls. And not to mention that the graphics would be esssh and if they are making games for the wii in order to keep it alive, that means they aren't really making games for their next gen console.

And of course, if they made an entirely new wii with a gamepad, it would cause confusion up the ass since the gamepad won't be compatible with the original wii and of course, if the new wii has better graphics, then what the tits is the difference between a wiiU and a wii?

And there are other factors and etc so yea, I wouldn't have done the wii + gamepad thing at all

My idea was basically a Wii Classic Controller wit a screen. It would have been compatible with all the games that support that controller. The thing is not meant to play online, it would have played local MP or SP. Maybe if there is too much lattency, they could add a little add-on to the Wii through the SD ports that helps with it. I see that Wii Gamepad attracting mostly the same people that like streaming services like Netflix, not core gamers.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

If it was just the screen then there would be little reason to buy it. That's just not a very appealing product. If it happened this way it would have been a failed peripheral rather than a failed system, so it probably would have worked out for the best. They would have gone at the Wii U from a different perspective.

I like the gamepad..

Games would of looked even worse than ps2 games, as the system resources would be used to do the encoding and streaming to the handheld

Nothing would have changed.