By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will happen to the "Wii something" games when the NX comes out?

Tagged games:

What will happen to the "Wii something" games when the NX comes out?

They will continue as usual, no changes. 11 12.09%

They will continue to exi... 12 13.19%

They will continue to exi... 14 15.38%

They will make few and bi... 9 9.89%

Nintendo will keep the Wi... 9 9.89%

Nintendo will keep the Wi... 2 2.20%

NIntendo will abandon the... 34 37.36%

Total:91

One of the best selling videogame franchises and probably the one with the most explosive growth ever, the Wii series of videogames (not the hardware, the videogames with Wii on the title) has gotten a bit of a reputation during the latest years of the Wii and during the WiiU lifespam. A lot of people think that the franchise is as finished as the Wii brand, and in some respects they may be right. After the explosive growth of the Wii ended, the best selling Wii title during the 8th gen is Wii Party U, a game that sold around a million and a half and included a controller packaged with most copies. The original sold five times that, and if we compare Wii Sports with Wii Sports Club, the difference may be the biggest decrease on sales on a franchise ever.

A lot of people think that Nintendo will get ridd of the Wii brand altogether, and that may be for the best. But what will happen to the Wii series of videogames (again, not the hardware, the videogames with Wii on the title)? I seriously doubt they would just stop making them, they were extremely cheap to make and even in small quantities they can make a profit. The Miis, an element associated with the Wii brand, has been used in a variety of other projects, like Pilotwings Resort (a PilotWings game set on the Wii universe), MarioKart, Super Smash Bros, Tomodachi Life, Miiverse...

The influence of the Wii brand is too big to just erase, but that brand has also been holding Nintendo back in the eyes of many. And so, with the next system glooming on the horizon, Nintendo has to make a choice of what to do with one of its most unique franchises.

When the NX comes out, What will Nintendo do with the Wii brand and everything associated with it? That includes the Wii Fit games, Wii Sports, Party and other miscelaneous (music, chess...), Miis...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I think Nintendo will forget them with NX. That serves little point now on a dedicated console.

I wouldn't be surprised if they bring the Wii-brand to mobile though. Something health related perhaps. Why waste a good brand name.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

The nx will have backwards compability
And if they are smart and moneythirsty they will remaster this games

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

With the DS, Advanced Wars stayed Advanced Wars in the west and was called Famicom Wars Ds in Japan.

I see no issues with them just using the Wii name for games like Wii Party and Wii Sports by naming them Wii Sports NX and, as I pointed out, there's precedent for them naming things like that.

Hopefully they'll die the death they deserve.

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:

A bit harsh, don't you think? XD

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

MohammadBadir said:

This. :p

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

carry on...

Switch!!!

Darwinianevolution said:
MohammadBadir said:

Maybe a little. They were big sellers, and I kind of liked some of them, but they marked the final departure of the core gaming market from Nintendo consoles. Up until the Wii, many of my friends who aren't total Nintendorks still bought their systems (the N64 and GCN). Following the Wii, they associate Nintendo with casual games only. Only my hardcore-Nintendo friends and family even know what's being released on the Wii U and 3DS. It's not even that [the others] are checking in on the situation and choosing to pass based on the games - they've already dismissed Nintendo altogether. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

StuOhQ said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Maybe a little. They were big sellers, and I kind of liked some of them, but they marked the final departure of the core gaming market from Nintendo consoles. Up until the Wii, many of my friends who aren't total Nintendorks still bought their systems (the N64 and GCN). Following the Wii, they associate Nintendo with casual games only. Only my hardcore-Nintendo friends and family even know what's being released on the Wii U and 3DS. It's not even that [the others] are checking in on the situation and choosing to pass based on the games - they've already dismissed Nintendo altogether. 

They sadly stopped inovating with them after a while. The Wii Sports essential tech demo was still the most fun out of them all.

We still play golf at my friends on numerous occassions. I'd love to see them do something exciting and new with it. If they could figure that out to get people's attention while keeping the Wii name on it it could attract a lot of people. 

But in all fairness if they kept the Wii name people would just try and buy the game for their Wii because Nintendo is horrible about making people know they have a new console D: