By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Perfect NX console scenario

Tagged games:

This is?

Genius talk. 9 45.00%

Crazy wable dable booby doobies. 11 55.00%

Total:20

[yes, I know that some of you are gonna laugh ._. ]

DISCLAIMER: This thread will describe what to me is the perfect NX console scenario while taking into account what Nintendo said so far (So no 2019 release date or something like that), and talk about the next handheld will remain minimal. Also, there's a LOT of hopefulness here, as this is the perfect scenario. That is all.

I'm taking into account the Handheld/Console "brother" thing Iwata talked about, as well as Miyamoto's recent quotes, and other things.

Release time: So the perfect release time (based on current Nintendo quotes and expectations) would be Late 2017, with the reveal being at next E3 and E3 2017 would show what is pretty much the finalized design.

Uniqueness: I doubt Nintendo will release a standard console and as we've seen from the WiiU they shouldn't release a console that is "too unique", so my suggestion would be something "semi-standard", i.e. pretty much a standard console but with a controller that looks like a Gamepad-Standard controller hybrid.

The controller shouldn't be too costly to produce as to not make the console too expensive, or in this case too weak (both ala WiiU).

Power: Powerwise I'm hoping this will be as powerful as it can be. Nintendo won't make something too expensive (i.e. 500$) but they've proven that they're not against being a bit more expensive than usual (WiiU at 350$), so with that in mind if they go the standard component route which is prefered, they'd be able to get some pretty cheap vendors and would be able to make something pretty good for the price in the power department. Being released 4 years after the PS4/Xbone, the console would be quite a bit more powerful than those 2 if it's standard. I'm expecting the Xbox2/PS5 to release in late 2019, and with the NX being semi-standard and being released only 2 years before, there'd be a power difference but not even close to the current WiiU - PS4/Xbone power difference. With that in mind, the NX would be able to recieve the best looking console 3rd party ports compared to the PS4/Xbone for the 2 years they'd compete, and when the PS5/Xbox 2 release they'd be stronger but not to the point that 3rd parties couldn't port their games for cheap, so while the NX would be weaker than the other 9th gen consoles, it'll still be in the same ballpark of power, which directly matches Miyamoto's recent quotes about power.

3rd Parties: Now this is the real kicker. As we've seen from recent times, 3rd parties would pursue anything that'd give them bigger profits. And if the NX will release with a standard architecture, the porting costs would go down so much that even low sales would get the 3rd parties profits. Even in the GC era having a standard console (not arch-wise though, but there was no standard back then), 3rd parties did port stuff even though they got low sales, because they made some money some of the time. With this "perfect" NX scenario, they'd port stuff because making money would be gauranteed for the most part, and that'll lead to more people getting 3rd party games on Nintendo's platform (The fact that the games will look a lot better than the competing Xbone/PS4 for 2 years will greatly help), and that'll lead to more 3rd party incentives, and more 3rd party games, and the rest will be history. Of course, this isn't the likeliest of things to happen given Nintendo's recent past, but they have the potential to pull it off if they play their cards right.

Architecture: This is something very important too, Nintendo has said that the NX (future platform) would absorb the WiiU architecture, but I hope that this doesn't mean that it'll be PowerPC as that would handicap the NX in extreme ways. What they need to do is got the standard x86 route, or even ARM (but x86 would be more prefered as it's more "standard" and will co-allign with the other consoles.) either way it'd likely be something the handheld will be able to match as they seem to be planning similar architectures for both platforms. Either the console will ride the handheld (NX console will be ARM), or the other way around (Handheld would somehow be x86. Let's hope intel does something about that, lol). But similar development for the console and handheld could just be similar developing software, but I'm not betting on that. As long as it's not something like PowerPC, it's all good. But again, x86 is prefered.

Games: I've talked 3rd party, but 1st party-wise they need to expand their studios a bit as whatever graphical levels will be the norm then will undoubtably spread them thin, seeing as they're doing a terrible job at even 720p development right now. While I'm hoping the 3rd party situation will improve, They'll definitely have to push themselves the most when the console's in its first years, they'd have to support it pretty good. A lot of people (most of which say that NX will launch in 2016) say that Zelda U will be cross gen between WiiU and NX, but I doubt that. I think that ZeldaU will launch on WiiU in 2016, but a remastered version at a much higher resolution and at 60fps would release with the NX AT LAUNCH which might not be Twilight Princess Wii epic, but epic nontheless. Another thing they could do would be to re-use ZeldaU's HD assets to make a new Zelda NX using ZeldaU's assets (ala OoT and Majora's Mask), which would release in the post-launch period, or holiday 2018 at most. Whatever they do, they'd need to perfect and not slack off/underestimate things like what happened with the WiiU.

In the end, we should keep in mind that this is Nintendo we're talking about. Either they'll do something amazing and follow all this stuff, or they'll release a console that's weaker than the PS4 ._. Only time can tell.

That's all for now. Do let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions for better ideas, or disagree with any of these points being in a "perfect scenario", post about it :P

Around the Network

Games: Nintendo releases Mario 3D Universe, Pokemon 3D RPG, Metroid 3D, and Zelda 3D RPG a la The Witcher.

Hardware: 16gbs of RAM, with way more power than that of the PS4.

Price: $250

And then everyone in Sony and Micro dies and there's no one to compete with NX.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

I just know they have to have at least 1 big AAA game, killer app style, at launch. Coupled with 2 or 3 other medium games to back it up, of course. This game could be the new 3D Mario.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Nintendo is stubborn but I hope that they learned something from all of this. If they want to have some optional unique way to play that won't be too expensive then that is fine but I think the single most important factor for them getting back into the game is the architecture. With x86 and graphics similar to the PS4 they shouldn't have a problem with next generation ports. Architecture will be the opening to everything else. Power PC will be a quick death.

RolStoppable said:
To be frank, this sounds like you want to see Nintendo die. Your "either or" at the end makes it almost read like a comedy piece.

I guess that Xbox One I own really is turning me into an Xbro >.<

Around the Network
__Hydra__ said:
Nintendo is stubborn but I hope that they learned something from all of this. If they want to have some optional unique way to play that won't be too expensive then that is fine but I think the single most important factor for them getting back into the game is the architecture. With x86 and graphics similar to the PS4 they shouldn't have a problem with next generation ports. Architecture will be the opening to everything else. Power PC will be a quick death.

Yep. We all know that Nintendo's stupid enough to go PowerPC though, lol.

RolStoppable said:
MohammadBadir said:

I guess that Xbox One I own really is turning me into an Xbro >.<

See, if you already own an Xbox One, you should rally for a Nintendo console that will make it easy for Nintendo to pump out a big amount of games. That way you will benefit the most.

Well this would have moar games! D:

bump because I wrote so much stuff only to see people not read it T-T

padib said:
Good thread, I like how you wrote it.

My comments are that, during the gamecube days, Nintendo was building a market that was multi-plat friendly. They secured franchises like Resident Evil, Viewtiful Joe, made sure to release games that catered to that audience such as Metroid Prime, and Smash early on. Rare was still in the picture so they were building that market since the N64 days too with games like Goldeneye and Conker. That's why it made sense for 3rd parties to port their games to the cube.

Those days are long gone. The Nintendo of today has completely alienated that audience, and with an NX that is not spec-impressive, that will only get worse.

But if porting is important to you, they should just make their API compatible with DirectX. The Xbox will keep going after that market, and so 3rd parties will keep developing for that API.

As for timing, Nintendo can't wait too long. They need to challenge Sony and offer a console that is more powerful, and not too late so that consumers will not think "it's too late, the next playstation will come out soon anyways".

As for software, the Wii showed what happens when you launch a console with an epic Zelda. Imho the next Zelda must be a simultaneous release for the U and the NX.

The handheld can be of any power spec as long as it's cheap (like the 2nd price the 3DS got, not the first). The low-speced home console can be priced like a handheld. The high-speced console needs to be powerful to wow gamers and get people talking.

Lastly, Nintendo doesn't need 3rd party developers to win the console war. They just need to stop being a shadow of their former selves. Where is their Rare today? Where is their Retro? They need at least 1 dev like that, and many more.

I really have no clue what they are doing, Kaz would do a much better job with Nintendo. There's gotta be a balance somewhere.

So you suggest 2 consoles? :|

The main problem with the "make it a little more powerful than ps4/xbox one" point of view is that it will only lure third parties until ps5/xtwo launches and then they will ditch Nintendo again. Who cares about having 1-2 years worth of third party support followed by virtually nothing? They either need to totally forget about third party (hybrid console allowing Nintendo to use all developers to publish for one device, increasing amount of games per device drastically) or get something that is so ridiculously powerful that the ps5 and xbox two will be just as powerful when they launch (but that would make the NX cost like 600-700 which would be insane lol).