By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crowdfunding First-Party Games

Tagged games:

Do you agree or disagree with the subject?

Yes to keep up with the e... 3 21.43%

Maybe, only on a titles t... 4 28.57%

No, the traditional proce... 7 50.00%

Results only/I have no opinion on this 0 0%

Total:14

Console game development costs continues to steadily rise...   

So now that we have seen that a company like Sony is willing to reveal a kickstarter game at a major press conference like e3, Shenmue 3 which is at 1.5 Million right now and only 500 thousand away from being funded in less than a day no less. Could this also indicate that more games will be founded this way? Particularly first-party games (even though that seems unnecessary with a large company). But Shenmue 2 was the most expensive game at the time, as Sega said that every Dreamcast owner would’ve had to buy 2 copies for it to have been profitable. Yet on the other hand take for instance, this could be a way that lesser known, but still fan favorites like SOCOM and Medievil get another opportunity to prove themselves at retail. All without any major risk to the parent company.

So yeah this is in the gaming section, since in can apply to any of the big publishers. That might be hesitant to offer funding for lesser known, but still beloved game franchises.

So what do the gamers think? Would this set an unhealthy precedent, where the end product could end up worse off than if it was funded by the original company, (Shadow of the Eternals as an example) or would it lead to more successes like Bloodstained Ritual of the Night? Where that was seen as a roaring success of crowdfunding done right.

TL;DR Should First-Parties make use of crowdfunding or should it just be restricted to indies?    

Around the Network

i would love seeing sony implementing it into their Playstation store somehow so mid tier AAA titles can be founded. The middle class is breaking away in gaming you either are EA or Activision or an Indie developer. Thats the sad reality of the situation, sony gave the climbs of support they could do.

Shenmue 3 is a huge HUGE risk. I mean the other two titles literally destroyed Sega. So Sony wants to play it safe. That's all there is to say really. I don't think this will become the norm.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Ruler said:

i would love seeing sony implementing it into their Playstation store somehow so mid tier AAA titles can be founded. The middle class is breaking away in gaming you either are EA or Activision or an Indie developer. Thats the sad reality of the situation, sony gave the climbs of support they could do.

Yes! I wholeheartedly agree, this is a way to keep mid-tier development alive. Good post.

OdinHades said:
Shenmue 3 is a huge HUGE risk. I mean the other two titles literally destroyed Sega. So Sony wants to play it safe. That's all there is to say really. I don't think this will become the norm.

But why though? The series doesn't look extremely ambtious or anything.

Around the Network

I don't agree but fans would do anything, I would fund a zelda game lol

Crowdfunding is always good. And if it makes games happen that wouldn't have otherwise, it's even better.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Mystro-Sama said:
OdinHades said:

Shenmue was really expensive, like 80m or something like that

onionberry said:
Mystro-Sama said:
OdinHades said:

Shenmue was really expensive, like 80m or something like that

That's what they said before development. At the end I think it came down to something like 47m, which is still a lot for the kind of game that it is.

I can see why the Kickstarter had to happen. Games like Shenmue are only known to a small fraction of the gaming community. Sony and Sega need to know that there will be adequate amounts of people ready to buy this game. Shenmue is quite niche.