By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Canadian Movie Theatres Want to Attract Growing Gaming Community

Tagged games:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/cineplex-places-bets-on-burgeoning-gamer-community-1.3074091

Canadian Cineplex theaters will begin screening gaming-themed documentaries etc. in the hopes of attracting the gaming community. They will be showing an esports documentary this summer at 85 different Canadian theatres that will be followed by a casual gaming competition amongst the audience members. They want to start hosting local gaming competitions, and see this as a way to tap into the growing community. Seems like they want to build up to larger competitions in which players compete on the big screen while audience members pay to watch; maybe even working their way up to full esports competitions and/or screenings? They say ticket sales have been declining (especially in the "teenage boy" demographic) due to YouTube and Netflix, and Cineplex believes this is the way of landing that revenue again. They also seem to see this as a more stable source of income than the movies that get released; which either hit it big or flop, and bring in fluctuating numbers of people.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network

Gaming is slowly becoming the biggest entertainment medium. Not surprised this is happened. Gaming isn't some child's plaything anymore.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Cool! Go Canada!!!!!!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

What I can see happening:

• Theatres begin screening eSports competitions as well as hosting them in house.
  • E3, Gamescom, and TGS conferences will begin being screened inside theatres.
  • More casual competitions will begin being held for anyone to enter. I imagine lots of people will like the idea of competitive gaming on a very large screen, and I can see lots of people feel ok with paying money to watch as well. It would certainly target the younger demographic and give them something to do out of the house. I kind of like that idea. Get them off of Twitch and YouTube and get them physically involved in what they love. It's sort of like a modernized arcade scene

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Sounds cool!

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

Interesting... though I doubt this will stick, especially in some parts of Canada.

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Platina said:
Interesting... though I doubt this will stick, especially in some parts of Canada.

I honestly hope it does. It feels like it will become the modern equivalent of the arcade scene. Kids seem to love both watching people game and gaming in front of other people, so this could be a way of getting them out of the house to do something they love. I actually would take place in some of those gaming competitions. I mean imagine all these local MarioKart or Smash tourneys on big screens like that, with all those people behind you? Countless other games you could do it with as well. I want this to stick

#1 Amb-ass-ador

I wouldn't mind seeing this happen. I'd probably start going to the movies more if they started that.

Oh yeah, I remember seeing a trailer for the League or Dota tourney when I went to see Avengers. I, for one, will never go to one of these showings.

alternine said:
Gaming is slowly becoming the biggest entertainment medium. Not surprised this is happened. Gaming isn't some child's plaything anymore.

As long as Scorpion and Sub keep up their rivalry it never will =P.

Hopefully the growing interest means we get improved movie tie in games since those have been crap for years most of the time.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"