By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It Seem Many PC Gamers does Not like The Idea of Payable Mod on Steam and Have already Sign a Petition

Tagged games:

Do you agree with Steam or you dont agree with steam about payable mod

I dont agree with steam a... 20 40.82%

I am agree with steam and... 9 18.37%

i am a console gamer and ... 9 18.37%

i am a pirate and not a ... 11 22.45%

Total:49

"A paid-for Skyrim mod has already been removed from sale on Steam Workshop. "

Yup that's  true folk, it seems many gamer does not like the idea for payable mod.

In my opinion mod should be free because if people pay for mod it just the same with payable DLC,

and also mod comes from comunity and for community, i bet this just the idea made by valve to monetize it.

"Allowing modders to make money from their work is a bold step by Valve - and the publishers allowing it for their games. It's an idea that will take some getting used to and there's negative immediate reaction swirling around. There's even a Change.org petition to remove the paid mods from Steam Workshop that has reached more than 19,000 signatures. Naturally, there will be teething issues."

and it seems many gamer already sign the petition

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-24-a-paid-skyrim-steam-workshop-mod-has-already-been-pulled

Around the Network

I have no problems with it, other than from a purely selfish desire to have as much free stuff as possible. I've played Fallout and Skyrim mods that would obviously be quite expensive if the people behind them could bill their hours. I had a Fallout: New Vegas companion mod where the girl behind it did full voice-work, added new items, recipes and clothing, and included a long quest sequence. It was better than the companions included in the actual game.

I don't see the issue, as long as we're talking about highly polished and supported work.

1) If the people who made the mods want it to be free, it should still be free. If people want to charge for their mods, they should be able to charge for their mods.
2) Steam taking 75% of the payment is reprehensible for a game they didn't make, for mods they didn't make. Basically, they're taking 75% for bandwidth costs. Absurd.
3) If you have a problem with how Steam does this, I strongly suggest everyone buy physical, and simply link it to steam, as opposed to buying digital and allowing steam to control the content. In this regard, you can still go to the vastly superior mod sites, and still get the benefits of steam where/whenever necessary.

4) My biggest concern over all of this is that slowly the modders who do it for the pure passion, will be slowly forced out.  If the steam setup becomes super popular, you could see devs start adding mod tools back into games...but at a price.  Though, I think it's fairly safe to say that many modders are content with working on the game they currently are modding for...so, it could simply encourage them not to take interest in newer titles.

5) For me, it smells like the beginning of how they took server control away from users, and started charging for it.  That's why I have a very serious concern about this.  But, as long as I can still purchase a physical copy and cut steam out of the equation, I have no problems.

people being paid for creating content? wtf, Imma sign that right now.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Wow, one day, and people are already making a petition.

I'm not saying this is guaranteed to be a success, but I feel that skilled modders can really benefit from this, and crappy modders who want to sinply make money will fall flat on their face, thanks to Steam's rating system, and how you can't simply make multiple profiles to try and upvote your own mod.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

I think that the makers of those mods deserve their earnings, those thinks take time, efford and talent. If you want hem for free, I'm sure there are plenty of sites that give mods for free. The 75% Steam takes from them is preposterous, they are getting way more than the makers of the software, and the bandwidth costs aren't nearly as expensive for this kind of content. You're swimming in money already, Valve.

This kind of content should be encouraged, not restricted, Bethesda should PAY for the best expansions for their games.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

It's understandable that PC people would be upset that something which was free now has to be paid for. I can see the other side that the people who do put a lot of effort into their mods get some sort of compensation. Though it could start a boom of people making mods to make a quick profit. This seems like a good idea, but sort of gets complicated, like how do you determine the worth of a mod? I imagine it could be a little hard to check every mod made to determine that.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I find great.

This will encourage developers to add steam workshop and will encourage better mods and for them to be updated.

Is win win for everyone.

But some modder are asking for ridiculous prices, we will have to wait for the prices to balance it out the the increase in quality and support due to financial incentive start to appear.

Edit:

Just learned mode developers earn only 25%, if you account for the 30% tax it goes down to less than 20% from revenue.

Steam is being greedy.

There is crap mods and there is good mods and because of the "mod sale" now we will get a billion more crap mods because the stupid people who make them think "ey maybe some other idiot buys my crap" so they will do more and more crap mods that cost some money

I mean seriously Steam has greenlight for a reason then it should also have greenlight for mods that cost money

pokoko said:
I have no problems with it, other than from a purely selfish desire to have as much free stuff as possible. I've played Fallout and Skyrim mods that would obviously be quite expensive if the people behind them could bill their hours. I had a Fallout: New Vegas companion mod where the girl behind it did full voice-work, added new items, recipes and clothing, and included a long quest sequence. It was better than the companions included in the actual game.

I don't see the issue, as long as we're talking about highly polished and supported work.

The issue isn't that Modders should not get paid, it's that Steam and Bethesda are taking most of the money.  Some modder have a 'donate' button - and they get most of the money donated.

Now Steam is taking 75%, giving 50% to Bethesda (and remember you have already purchaed the game And the developer has purchased the game And the development kit.)  The people that actually do the work only get 25% minu what taxes and other fees take.  Which as someone calculated ends up being 20%.

So if you did a job, would you be hapy with 1/5th of you paycheck and 4/5 going to Steam and Bethesda?

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!