By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mortal Kombat reveals first gay character

Tagged games:

Mortal Kombat reveals first gay character

Lock if already posted.

Source: gaystarnews.com

Don't worry, he's a badass

Mortal Kombat X has a closeted, gay character.

The latest in the fighting series developed by NetherRealm Studios, Kung Jin is a total badass. A former thief, he is now a monk archer and member of a Special Forces Unit, and is one of the new characters in the franchise.

In a series of flashbacks, gamers will get to see Kung Jin explore his closeted sexuality as he finishes several of his competitors.

In Chapter 4, Raiden (the elemantals guy with the hat) tells Kung Jin to join the Shaolin monks.

'I can't... They won't accept,' Kung Jin says.

And in response, Raiden says: 'They care only of what is in your heart, not whom your heart desires.'

While it is not explicit, Kung Jin's sexuality appeared to be confirmed by Mortal Kombat X's cinematic director Dominic Ciancialo.

'I see people are picking up on the subtle exposition contained in Kung Jin's flashback,' he said on Twitter. 'Glad we have observant fans!'

Mortal Kombat X was released on 14 April.

Around the Network

Awesome! Hopefully this motivates other developers to go in the same direction and do gays or transgenders or anything that isn't used much. It's 2015 after all.

Add me on Xbox: DWTKarma 

Hmmm... I like when it's done ambiguously and not in your face and overtly feminine. Only because the latter always seems to aiming to offend or make a joke of the person. Some other games with gay characters have great gay characters. Sera from Dragon Age Inquisition is hilarious and a must have in your party. 

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

JoeAncelotti said:

or transgenders

I'd be fine with that even if it is done just for publicity or for social warrior justice bullshit :)

Why do we need to know the characters sexuality? Why bring it up at all?

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Around the Network
ohmylanta1003 said:

Because you can think dirty when doing a "Finish him!" on a male combatant.

ohmylanta1003 said:

Character development. Adds to his backstory. Explains why he isnt in with the Shaolin Monks at that point in the game.

In a game like Mortal Kombat the characters sexuality doesn't really come up much.

Still, given how many characters are in the game it would be reasonable to assume there would be an average of about 1-2 gays on the roster.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Wright said:
ohmylanta1003 said:

Because you can think dirty when doing a "Finish him!" on a male combatant.

Lol. I'll accept that one.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

how do we know he's gay ?

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.