By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Portable RPG Reccomendation (or just a long, time consuming game)

Tagged games:

Hi all!

This summer I'm traveling  to europe.  looking forward to experience all of the intense history and culture there!

but perhaps more importantly, I'm going to need a game to enterian me for the intense transcontinental plane ride.  That's why I have decied to mine the minds of VG Chartz, to provide me with the best portable game to spend my time with.  I really like RPGs, and this is a unique opportunity to sink some time into an intense one.  In past trips I have made I have used this chance to explore and experience JRPGs that I never would otherwise.  For example, last time I went on a trip I played The World Ends With You, and now is one of my favorite games of all time.  

Here are some games I have considered to play over the trip:

999  (not really an RPG but still on the list)

Etrian Oddyse 4

Bravely Default

Shin megami tensei IV

Monter Hunter 4

Persona Q

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance

Vrtue Last Reward

If you have experience with any of these games, please let me know you opinion on them.  Any essential DS/ 3DS RPGs I missed? I generally prefer original titles over remasters as an FYI.  let me know.  I am really open to trying something new on this trip, and I want to make sure I make the most of it.  

for reference: RPGs I have played and liked in the past

Chrono Trigger /Cross

TWEWY

Paper mario games/ mario and luigi

Pokemon

I will create a seperate thread in the future for what games that are only in europe I need to bring back with me...

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

Around the Network
2Quick said:

Etrian Oddyse 4

Bravely Default

Shin megami tensei IV

Monter Hunter 4

Persona Q

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance

Vrtue Last Reward

Etrian Oddyse 4 - have it - spent 100+ hours in millenium girl and so I took a break - I expect 60-70 hours at least

Bravely Default - 120+ hours (I did every quest and multiple endings) great game - gets a bit repetative towards the end - last boss is quite a jump difficulty wise and even maxed out on every profession - it took some time to develop a strategy that worked for me.

Shin megami tensei IV - 100+ hours for me - my first SMT game it took me quite a while to learn the ropes - very enjoyable throughout

Monter Hunter 4 - not played

Persona Q - on my wish list

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance - played it - couldn't get into it - plan to try again 'sometime' otherwise it sits in my game case... :(

Vrtue Last Reward - never played it.

Other games to consider:

Etrian Oddessy Millenium Girl - good story - fun game

Fire Emblem - wow - awesome - tons of playtime - grindable, SRPG if you like those - fun fact the game gives you bonuses and other fun items depending on real life dates.  Honestly this one is on my list of games you should own if you have a 3ds

Conception II - children of the seven stars - odd system - not as wierd as it sounds from reading it - so far decent story (about 1/2 way through it with 40-50 hours in)

Pokemon X/Y - if you like Pokemon - they are good games

Legend of Zelda :  A link between worlds - if you like zelda at all this is a blast to play - *way* better with the 3d on.

Animal Crossing - new leaf - this is such an odd game - usually not a fan of 'life simulations' but it's odd - has humor - is fun - and has something to do almost every day that is different - for a game that really can suck up 100's of hours of your time and never really end this one gets the 'gotta go back to my town to do this one thing' award for replayability

games I want but haven't picked up:

SMT: soul hackers

Tagging, I'll post a bit later

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

SMT: devil survivor
mario rpg

It is also a turn-based strategy game but I would recommend Fire Emblem Awakening. The game has RPG elements as your characters level up and is combined with a great story and characters and can be pretty difficult if you play on the higher settings, or you can just pick casual mode if you just want to enjoy the story. My first playthrough lasted around 40 hours but I went back through the game multiple times on harder difficulties and to find the hundreds of support conversations which also change up certain characters stats (don't know if mentioning it is a spoiler so I'll just leave it at that). It's definitely worth checking out if you get the chance.

Around the Network

FFX & X-2, Persona 4 Golden, Danganronpa 1 & 2, Zelda OOT and MM, Monster Hunter 4U. Probably many more to chose from but those are just from the top of my head.

If you don't own a Vita, go out and buy one. Then buy Persona 4 Golden and come out the other side of that trip a different man. Seriously.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

BlowoverKing said:
If you don't own a Vita, go out and buy one. Then buy Persona 4 Golden and come out the other side of that trip a different man. Seriously.

Quoted for truth hahah! Vita is the king ATM for JRPGs IMO.

On 3DS however Tales of the Abyss is definitely a good shout that's not on your list.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

If you only have a DS and 3DS I'd recommend:

Dragon Quest IX (DS) Really good JRPG game
Etrian Odyssey II/III/IV/Untold (DS/3DS) if you like one of them, you'd probably like them all.
Final Fantasy III/IV (DS) It's Final Fantasy.
Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) My favourite 3DS game
Rune Factory 3/4 (DS/3DS) Farming + RPG = fun
Persona Q (3DS) because you can't play the originals
Pokemon XY/ORAS (3DS) Both are worth and if you like Pokemon, I don't see why you won't like these ones

Yup, these are from the top of my head... if you want more recommendations, I'll list more later

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]