By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fire Emblem If: What's Your Thoughts On it?

Tagged games:

Are you excited for Fire Emblem: If?

Yeah!!! 65 82.28%

No, not really... 4 5.06%

I never played before... 4 5.06%

Other. 6 7.59%

Total:79

Heya everyone, Cloudman here again. I wanted to bring this thread back as new information has surfaced on the latest game in the Fire Emblem series, Fire Emblem If. This is rather late, as the news was brought forth in the Japanese Nintendo Direct on April 1st, but I thought it`s time to talk about the new info.

Now, perhaps the biggest news to come for Fire Emblem if is the introduction of

• Different Versions

In an odd twist, Fire Emblem If is coming in two versions, "Fire Emblem If Hoshido" and "Fire Emblem If Nohr"

Fire Emblem: Black and Fire Emblem White. What is this, some sort of Pokemon scheme???

So what is the purpose of splitting the game into two versions? In the story of the game, two nations are at war with eachother, Hoshido and Nohr. At a later point in time, you have to decide on which side you want to join.

Now, rather than picking one side and playing the other in a 2nd playthrough, the opposite side is locked in the game you did not buy (Unless you were that person who always both versions of Pokemon, but that`s a different discussion.) If you buy the digital version, you can choose between one of the two side, but once you make your decision, the other choice is permanently locked!

So in a nutshell, players are only getting half of the game. You can get the other side of the story, but in order to get that, this moves on to the next point.

• Downloadable Content

In a less shocking fashion, DLC returns to this title, one of them being the other side of the story you did not choose. You can get the side you not pick, but you have to buy it as DLC. So in an odd twist, Nintendo is forcing players to spend more to get the full story. Although, Nintendo ensure that both sides provide enough content to feel like complete games, and it is at a reduced price.

What`s more is that there will be a 3rd option to the story, in which you do not choose either side. It is essentially the Neutral side, which is a nice and interesting option, but of course, you have to buy it also for a reduced price. Three different routes sounds like an excellent idea, although I can`t help but feel like I`ve played games with that option before present in the game...

I can`t quite put my finger on it...

So let`s say you buy Fire Emblem If along with all the all the story DLC. Let`s see what your final price comes out to...

Version Cost What you get
Fire Emblem if Hoshido 5076 Yen / 42.4 USD Packaged game with Hoshido campaign
Fire Emblem if Nohr 5076 Yen / 42.4 USD Packaged game with Nohr campaign
Fire Emblem if digital version 5076 Yen / 42.4 USD Digital game where you can choose the Hoshido or Nohr campaign, but your choice is permanently locked afterwards
DLC: Hoshido 2000 Yen / 16.7 USD Hoshido campaign for Fire Emblem if Nohr or the digital version if you picked Nohr
DLC: Nohr 2000 Yen / 16.7 USD Nohr campaign for Fire Emblem if Hoshido or the digital version if you picked Hoshido
DLC: Third Path 2000 Yen / 16.7 USD Third campaign for Fire Emblem if Hoshido, Nohr or the digital version
Fire Emblem if Special Edition 9990 Yen / 83.4 USD

Packaged game with Hoshido and Nohr campaign, the Third Path DLC, a special artbook and FETCG card

Fire Emblem If price charts! Brought to you by SerenesForest.net : )

That would bring you to almost 100 USDs at least in the US, which is quite a hefty price for a portable game. Not evey console games go that far with price.

This doesn`t even include the other DLC that moves on to the next point.

•   Fire Emblem Trading Card Game

Downloadable characters are back, but in a different twist, a trading card game. How these cards will function is not certain, but they can be used to download various Fire Emblem characters with codes that can be used to add the characters into the game. The card sets will be available in 3 forms, the “Shadow Dragon Chapter” starter deck, the “Awakening Chapter” starter deck, and the “Blade of Heroes” booster box.

So if you want to get certain characters, or perhaps all the characters, this will set you back rough at:

Product Cost What you get
“Shadow Dragon Chapter” Starter Deck 1404 Yen / 11.8 USD 50 preset cards, DLC: Marth, Prince of Altea
“Awakening Chapter” Starter Deck 1404 Yen / 11.8 USD 50 preset cards, DLC: Lucina, the Swordsman who claims to be Marth
“Blade of Heroes” Booster Box 6048 Yen / 50.8 USD 16 booster packs (10 random cards each), Fire Emblem if Promo card, DLC: Pegasus Knight Minerva

Gotta get them all, Pokemon!

So getting everything in this game can end up being quite costly, but at least the cards are an optional thing, so whether you want to collect them or not is up to you. Perhaps they are playable and you can use them with your friends.

So with all that covered, let`s wrap this up with the remaining information.

• The Avatar, Aqua, the Songstress, and Other Features

Like in the previous game, you can make an avatar character and customize them, but now you can wield dragonstones, which will allow you to transform into a dragon, which is a first for the avatar. Before, only your kin can gain access to this option if you paired yourself with a Manakete, but now the opportunity is given to you, and you can still use sword, so it is nice variety to have, in case you prefer one fighting style over another.

Also prominent in the trailers is the songstress, which appears to side with you, regardless of what path you choose to take, but her clothes will change color depending on what side you pick. What her role is or how she fights in combat is unknown, but it will be interesting to see what she will do in the game.

Also, the duel support system given to the player`s side from Awakening is now usable for the enemy`s side as well, which can provide a greater challenge to the player, as the player`s units can also get double teamed by the enemy and potentially lost in battle. It will at least make for great 2v2 battles.

Characters will also be allowed to equip 6 skills as opposed to 5, and weapons have infinite uses as well, which is interesting, since weapons before had a limited number of uses before breaking, and players had to replace broken equipment. Whether this is a casual feature, or available to all game modes is unsure, but it is an interesting new change to the series, as players had to be mindful of item usage.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Personally, I feel divided and conflicted, mostly on the 2 version of the game. I am  very excited for this game, but I don`t like the route that is being taken with this game. It feels like a sort of scheme for Ninten to extort as much money from me in order to get the complete package, which I don`t like at all. Whether the game will be split in the west as well remains unknown. I hope it`s not the case for us, and I hope people complain about it in Japan so we don`t have to deal with this, but so far I am not sure if I want to buy the game right away now... What are your thoughts?

Original Post:

Heya everyone, Cloudman here. Since I am currently sporting a Fire Emblem avatar, I figure "Why not continue talking about things related to Fire Emblem?" Since the next Fire Emblem game is coming out on the 3DS soon (This summer in Japan even), I thought it would be cool to talk about it. So those of you who have played Fire Emblem games and are even a fan of the series, what are your thoughts on it? Are you excited for it? Are you planning to buy it? What sort of new or current features are you hoping? What are any main concerns you have for it?

For me, I'm really excited, to the point I am jealous that Japanese players get to play first... I wish it could come out this year too in the west, but I am doubting that's going to happen. Although, it sold really well, and Awakening was the best selling game in the series, so maybe there's a chance of it coming out this year in the west ; ) I'm positive that there will me a 'my unit' character, so I'm excited to be the best swordmaster in all the land. I'm hoping for new classes to appear. What sort of classes? Well, I'm drawing a blank for ideas. Maybe finally incorporate the DLC classes into this game? Some other new ones would be good.

A concern would be being able to marry and have your children be able to join your army too in the new game. Thinking back on Awakening, how you get your children is done in a sort of... more complicated way, which I sort of doubt they would do again in the 2nd game, but there are other ways to have your children introduced into the game too. As for a 2nd concern, I supposed it would be Fire Emblem If being largely more of the same. I would be happy for that, but having some new twist in the game would be nice and have a bit of freshness in the series.

So yeah... that's my thoughts on it! What are yours? : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jS3u5Q3FPo

Here's the link to the reveal trailer.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

After I saw the trailer, I jizzed my pants so hard!!! Waifu Simulator 2.0 here I cum!

Please have yuri

Please don't censor the summer dlc this time

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

My thoughts are that I hope they put Awakening on sale.

Also, they needed to release info on SMT x FE like last year.

I fear they won't make any effort on graphics though. They're probably keeping the same dismal engine which is a shame for a 2015 game.

I'm excited. I don't think it'll have the same time travelling/match-up twist as Awakening.

Going by the subtitle, the reveal trailer, and comments made in Japan, I think this game is going to be more about making choices during the storyline that change the direction of the campaign. Maybe failing to keep certain characters alive--or allowing certain characters to pair up--will change what happens in your campaign. I also think there could be two distinct campaigns; one where you play as one set of characters (the more Eastern/Asian looking army) and one where you play as another (Western/European looking army).

Hence, Fire Emblem: If. The game is about possibilities.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

After I saw the trailer, I jizzed my pants so hard!!! Waifu Simulator 2.0 here I cum!

Please have yuri

Please don't censor the summer dlc this time

Haha yeah, that trailer wa sooo goood! I had no idea it was FE until they showed the gameplay. I was a lil down that it was for 3DS again, but either way, new FE!!! I'm so excited to play it! I'm positive the marriage system will be back, but I'm hoping it really does come back again! : D

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

spemanig said:
My thoughts are that I hope they put Awakening on sale.

Also, they needed to release info on SMT x FE like last year.

Ugh, even I am starting to feel doubt on SMT x FE. I'm gonna start losing faith if it's not at E3 this year.

Also, I'm surprised Awakening hasn't been on sale. They've been having a lot of sales on the 3DS shop, but still no Awakening...

Dance my pretties!

I loved Awakening and it looks like this game will be an updated version of it (gameplay wise) which makes me happy. But I'm disappointed that this game is on the 3DS. I wanted an HD Fire Emblem, especially after the beginning of that trailer *-*

PxlStorm said:
I loved Awakening and it looks like this game will be an updated version of it (gameplay wise) which makes me happy. But I'm disappointed that this game is on the 3DS. I wanted an HD Fire Emblem, especially after the beginning of that trailer *-*

You just pretty much summed up my feelings in your statement, haha. : )

Dance my pretties!

ryuzaki57 said:

I fear they won't make any effort on graphics though. They're probably keeping the same dismal engine which is a shame for a 2015 game.

Yeah, it looks like it'll be more of the same with the 2nd one, but I'll be satisfied with this at least.

Dance my pretties!