By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Really Likes Metacritic

Tagged games:

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-really-likes-metacritic-1686254849

This is actually rather sad.

At an investor's meeting today, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata talked a lot about how great Nintendo's Metacritic scores are—even going as far as to brag that Nintendo's current releases have higher Metacritic numbers than Sony's or Microsoft's.

Um, congrats?

Keep in mind that Iwata is talking to boring investor types. That, and this Metacritic chest thumping is depressing.

Here's Iwata:

Nintendo of America posted this picture on its official Facebook page at the end of last year.

It shows a list of packaged game titles that received a Metascore of 85 or more and a User Score of 8.5+ or more on Metacritic.com, which we can admit received high scores both from the professional reviewers and consumers. For Nintendo's current platforms, Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, 19 titles met these criteria. In contrast, the current platforms of other companies, PS4, Xbox One and PS Vita, totaled eight titles.

In short, Nintendo games are better than Sony or Microsoft games, because Metacritic said so. Or something.8

Back to Iwata:

When a brand-new title is released, there are often misconceptions at the outset, so I would not take the Metacritic.com Metascores and User Scores as the absolute tell-all index, but I do want us to do our best to release such highly evaluated titles in succession.

THANK GOODNESS! He's not buying the hype. He knows that Metacritic is broken nonsense that actually hurts video games.

Wait. Didn't he say he just wants to release more games with high Metacritic scores?

More Iwata:

In fact, software available on our platforms continues to be reviewed highly even after the turn of the year. The two software titles which were released simultaneously with the New Nintendo 3DS hardware in the U.S. and Europe, "The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D" and "Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate," received the very high Metascores of 90 and 86 and User Scores of 9.5 and 8.9, respectively.

Oh shit. He's actually rattling off Metacritic scores. In public.

Compared to the Metascore of 79—

Iwata. Dude. Stop.

—which the prequel in the "Monster Hunter" series, "Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate," received, we can understand that this most recent iteration is very highly reviewed.

Yuck, Nintendo. Just yuck.

To contact the author of this post, write to bashcraftATkotaku.com or find him on Twitter @Brian_Ashcraft. 

Around the Network

Well they cant talk sales, guess Meta is the only way they feel they can boast about their achivements.

Wait, so how is Iwata showing his investors that they make quality games based on metacritic in order to please them a bad thing?

Also, the way that this article is written is just so lolz worthy "boring investor types" "Iwata. Dude. Stop" "Yuck. Nintendo. Yuck"

Its like its written by a 12 year old or something

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

The author is trying to hard

Well they need something to boast about and sales aren't saying much right now.

Around the Network

If only Nintendo would put their games on systems that sell...

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

I'm sorry, but I just can't read that article with a straight face! Just more proof as to why Kotaku is not worth anyone's time.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Is it just me, or does the article reek of denial by Nontendo people of Nintendo's higher quality? Also Iwata is simply presenting the best picture he can to his shareholders... its kinda funny though, Nintendo thinks shareholders care about quality and Sony thinks gamers care about sales.

ktay95 said:
Well they cant talk sales, guess Meta is the only way they feel they can boast about their achivements.

This.

No matter what Nintendo does some people will just want to make it sound negative.

If Nintendo gives the Wii U a price drop = "Wow, Nintendo's getting really desperate".
If Nintendo talks about how their system has the best reviewed games = "That's just sad".