By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How accurate is VGChartz when it comes to small sales data?

Tagged games:

According to VGChartz Resident Evil 4 (wii) sold 1,328 units up to now in 2015 and The Simpsons Game (PSP) sold 794 units in 2015 up to now. I just want to know if these small sales data are accurate or if they should be taken with a grain of salt.

Bibliography:

Simpsons The Game: www.vgchartz.com/game/12618/the-simpsons-game/Global

Resident Evil 4: www.vgchartz.com/game/70996/resident-evil-4/Global

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network

i would like to know why people go this site if everybody questions the main reason this site exists? sales data

Well, those are so small they are completely irrelevant. But you could say those are the easiest to track, since ioi pretty much knows the sale patterns those games take after they lose all of their popularity.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

I can tell you that for RE4 on Wii those numbers are wrong, Capcom has the total shipments of that game on 2m, and its been out of print for quite some time.

So no, they're not accurate, software data of vgchartz as a whole is one big mess unless it a big name game and they give more effort, just look at Bayo 2, that tracking is horrendous.

They've gotten pretty good with hardware tracking at least, the last couple of months they've been pretty close to the NPD numbers.

KyleeStrutt said:
I can tell you that for RE4 on Wii those numbers are wrong, Capcom has the total shipments of that game on 2m, and its been out of print for quite some time.

So no, they're not accurate, software data of vgchartz as a whole is one big mess unless it a big name game and they give more effort, just look at Bayo 2, that tracking is horrendous.

They've gotten pretty good with hardware tracking at least, the last couple of months they've been pretty close to the NPD numbers.

Just because the game is out of print does not mean it doesn't sell anymore.

Around the Network
seinsmeld said:
i would like to know why people go this site if everybody questions the main reason this site exists? sales data

I only come here for the forums.

I think that the less it sells, the worse it's tracked. Those games cannot really be followed using any kind of pattern or any sample size, and a lot of them start selling more later from the bargain bin, when the site basically gives up on tracking it.

Teeqoz said:

Didn't say otherwise, still chartz claims that the sell through number is higher than the shipped number.

KyleeStrutt said:
Teeqoz said:

Didn't say otherwise, still chartz claims that the sell through number is higher than the shipped number.

Lol I didn't bother to check the total for the game. Anyway, I think OP was asking about the weekly sales of thousand and something, not the total.

I use the database only to get a rough estimate on sales. I factor in at least +/-10%. Nowdays the software sales are very hard to guesstimate due to digital downloads. For hardware and especially historic research the database can be usefull.