By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did Microsoft just force Nintendo's hand?

Tagged games:

Should they reduce the price of the Wii U?

Yes, it's overdue. 220 61.45%

No, it's fine. 97 27.09%

Not sure. 41 11.45%

Total:358

With the announcment of Microsoft reducing the price of the Xbox One back to 349.99 in the United States, you gotta ask yourself if it's maybe time for Nintendo to reconsider the price of their current home console, the Wii U. It's no secret to anyone that the Wii U is struggling to get into peoples homes, even more so than the Xbox One.

Currently, the Wii U is being priced at $300 in most retailers, usually with a game bundled with it and while some of the games are actually quite good, I still feel like the Wii U is overpriced. It makes sense for the Xbox One to be $50 cheaper than the PS4 considering the fact that the PS4 is proven to be the stronger system. However, the Wii U is not only weaker than the PS4 but it is also weaker than the Xbox One.

PS4 at $400 > Xbox One at $350 > Wii U at $300 in terms of power.

So some might argue that $300 is a fair price, especially when bundled with a game like Super Mario 3D World. But obviously something isn't working here for Nintendo, looking back at the entire year of 2014 the Wii U never had a week where they sold more than 300k consoles. Everyone has their own opinion on why the Wii U isn't selling as well but you gotta ask yourself, would a price cut benefit Nintendo like it did Microsoft?

Around the Network

Wait so how did "Microsoft just force Nintendo's hand?"

Cause since Nintendo hasn't made a price cut yet... Microsoft didn't force anything from Nintendo?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Cause since Nintendo hasn't made a price cut yet... Microsoft didn't force anything from Nintendo?

By reducing their price yet again for good it simply makes the Wii U a lot less appealing in the eye of the casual, even more so than before.

There was one...

didn't help.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

DexInDaJungle said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

By reducing their price yet again for good it simply makes the Wii U a lot less appealing in the eye of the casual, even more so than before.

Yea but they didn't force anything from Nintendo though since Nintendo hasn't reacted and heck, the sales for december was Up in the US in YoY I believe even at that price for the wiiU

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Nintendos going to ride this gen out making as much profit as they can so no. Theyre not even really competing with Microsoft yet

Nope...this changes nothing

...and price isn't the problem

I don't think Nintendo is the type of company to be forced to do anything. They're as stubborn as a bull, for better or worse. A price cut will come eventually, but not because of Microsoft's price cut.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

They will leave the price alone, and sell Amiibos...

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Maybe by the summer or holidays. They want profit.