By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter...why you people like it?

Tagged games:

What do you think?

Are you NUTS?! Monster Hu... 44 26.04%

Are you NUTS?! 6 3.55%

I like Monster Hunter. 35 20.71%

It's decent. 22 13.02%

I dislike Monster Hunter. 22 13.02%

I ABSOLUTELY hate Monster Hunter. 10 5.92%

Peace Walker is better at... 6 3.55%

I don't wanna answer. 6 3.55%

Show me the results. 15 8.88%

Kebabs are for losers. 3 1.78%

Total:169

Thanks to the awesome user MohammadBadir I had the chance to play Monster Hunter 4 and try it for myself. Too many times in the past I've tried getting into this franchise, so I figured why not give it one last chance. Surely there has to be some improvements here anywhere, right? Right?

Well, there ain't. Monster Hunter 4 is just like Monster Hunter 3, which is like other Monster Hunter game. A grindfest that, unfortunately, is completely flawed in its core and Capcom doesn't even bother fixing it at all.

I respect the people that like this game, just like I have some gaming tastes that people has questioned in the past. But it blowns my mind that this franchise in particular gets so much praise. I just can't comprehend what's so good about it. Everything I can see oozes mediocrity, laziness and just plain mind-numbing boreness, mixed with some of the worst controls I've ever experienced in a game. I can understand people like grinding (I like grinding), but why force yourself through such intentionally archaic (in a bad way) gaming design? Why? I don't mind throwbacks to old-school japanese gaming design, but when something is broken, it is broken. It doesn't matter if it is old-school or not.

And I'm not hating, I just can't understand. I'm probably one of Capcom's biggest fanboys in this site. Whatever they do, it's a must buy from me. Doesn't matter if it is Azura's Wrath, Dragon's Dogma, Resident Evil 6 or whatever (crappy DLCs are a no-no, though). But there's a single franchise, a single one, that I have never been able to put myself through: Monster Hunter. And really, I've tried. I've tried so many times in the past, only to almost fell asleep after an hour playing.

Now, I'm not the kind of guy to compare games nor use critic's opinions on the matter, but I can't understand why Monster Hunter gets so much praise, and Lost Planet gets so much hate. Doesn't feel fair to me.

Around the Network

For what you say here, your title is clickbait.

WolfpackN64 said:
For what you say here, your title is clickbait.

For such a Capcom fanboy that I am, trust me that it hurt me to put such title. But I'll change it.

I probably hate Monster Hunter more than you do ...

I can agree with laziness, the series has gone nowhere in so long I swear. Very minor changes.
But the gameplay is solid a fuck, why do you think it sells so damn well everytime.

Around the Network
ktay95 said:

But the gameplay is solid a fuck, why do you think it sells so damn well everytime.

Selling so damn well everytime doesn't mean a game is solid a fuck. :P

Heck, those sales make Capcom lazier with every entry, I swear.

Ka-pi96 said:

What was the original title? Must have been interesting!

Monster Hunter is bad...like, really bad.

Never played Monster Hunter but from what I've seen it doesn't look very good. The monster designs are decent though.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Wright said:

Selling so damn well everytime doesn't mean a game is solid a fuck. :P

Heck, those sales make Capcom lazier with every entry, I swear.

@Bold Actually it does ... 

You just abhor the mechanics like I would but there are other things that you and I agree with such as the awful controls ... 

It was actually one of the first games I tried when I got my PSP. Because you know, EVERYBODY kept talking about it.

Couldn't stand it. However, I do plan on giving it another chance, with Monster Hunter 4 on the Wii U. These videos will probably help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6iYOHaGGKk

But it seems like a game that requires a loooooooot of time and patience. So I won't even consider it for YEARS.