By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Evil Within is awesome, and it reached great success.

Tagged games:

Did you like it?

Absolutely. One of 2014's finest games. 20 25.00%

Yeah, I liked it a lot. 18 22.50%

It was okay. 8 10.00%

It was meh. 7 8.75%

Didn't like it much. 3 3.75%

No, I found it terrible. 4 5.00%

Absolutely not. One of 2014's worst games. 3 3.75%

I don't want to answer. 1 1.25%

I want to see the results. 13 16.25%

Mikami is God among Men. 2 2.50%

Total:79

So, I finished Akumu Mode. For those who don't know, it is an unlockable difficulty where Sebastian, the main character, dies from just one hit. It doesn't matter the source, whether an enemy, an enviromental hazard or just a small fragment of debris that touches Sebastian, he's just done for good. Not only that, but this difficulty also revokes the whole game, adding more traps, enemies that you should encounter later in the game show up much more earlier, scarceness of ammo and more on.

First time around, my final time of the game (not counting cutscenes and loading times, if I am not mistaken) was 11:38:04. My death count, 26.

However, finishing Akumu Mode, my stats are:

· 14:17:06

· 197 total deaths.

Finishing this mode, despite some huge frustrations along the ride (I'm looking directly at you, Chapter 6), made me realize how much I loved this game; in a way that had not happened to me ever since Dragon's Dogma, and that was 2012. Not only I felt compelled to get into this ride, but also starting the game back from scratch, even though I had just beaten it a while ago on the standard difficulty.

It's not a perfect game by any means; the plot is way too ambicious for its own good (although I liked it a lot, and it is open for interesting discussions), the characters are your usual stereotype, and there's some gameplay mechanics that, while not evident on your first walkthrough, are completely visible on things such as Akumu Mode.

However, the game is never shy of showing these problems, and instead it offers the player an awesome trip through a world full of personality. It's weird, it's bizarre, it's spikes in difficulty are daunting but never unfair (unless, again, you play on Akumu Mode), and it's satisfying. I thought I'd never get to this point, but The Evil Within became my favourite game of 2014, to be honest. And while I know some people came disappointed with this title, I can only praise Mikami for just not...making a Resident Evil 4 clone. It does take some inspirations from it (as well as Silent Hill), but there's nothing wrong with it as Resident Evil 4 is a timeless masterpiece.

Also, checking the VGC sales data for this game, we find out that:

1 The Evil Within PS4 2014 Action Bethesda Softworks 0.34 0.45 0.07 0.26 1.14
2 The Evil Within PS3 2014 Action Bethesda Softworks 0.14 0.20 0.10 0.12 0.55
3 The Evil Within XOne 2014 Action Bethesda Softworks 0.22 0.15 0.00 0.04 0.42
4 The Evil Within X360 2014 Action Bethesda Softworks 0.15 0.10 0.00 0.02 0.28
5 The Evil Within PC 2014 Action Bethesda Softworks 0.05 0.07 0.00 0.02 0.14
Total 0.91 0.98 0.18 0.46 2.52

Add onto it Steam Sales, which are not tracked, and console players that bought it digitally, and we can aproximately measure that this game has crossed the three million units sold. Well deserved, honestly.

So, did you guys play The Evil Within? Did you like it?

Around the Network

I have it on my PS3! I did the first part where you get the key and open the door and... just that. I liked the atmosphere but I didn't experience the gameplay yet... I'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to horror games so I'll take my time with that game..

I am totally fine with Resident Evil games though! Those aren't scary, they are just full of cheese!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Congrats on beating Akumu mode!

Anfebious said:
I have it on my PS3! I did the first part where you get the key and open the door and... just that. I liked the atmosphere but I didn't experience the gameplay yet... I'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to horror games so I'll take my time with that game..

I am totally fine with Resident Evil games though! Those aren't scary, they are just full of cheese!

The first chapter of the game goes in full contrast to the third and subsequent ones. Just wait until Sebastian gets his hands on the Crossbow.

I didn't experience "fear" when playing the game, though there were some tense moments I think my body wouldn't be able to take again for a while.

Game is definitely quality but I felt overwhelmed at times. Gotta go back and finish it. It's pretty tough and I've gotten used to games pushing me towards the ending. I guess I'll drop it down to easy mode to avoid frustration.

d21lewis from 2001 is looking at present day d21lewis in total disgust.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Congrats on beating Akumu mode

Yay! Thanks! :)

To be honest, Crossbow was an extremely useful item (wouldn't have made it without the Flash/Electric/Frozen bolts), but the weapon that really made me go through it was the Sniper Rifle. Damage and ammo to the max, that thing could take on...anything, really.

It was meh. No intention of ever buying it. Alien Isolation was much better.

d21lewis said:
Game is definitely quality but I felt overwhelmed at times. Gotta go back and finish it. It's pretty tough and I've gotten used to games pushing me towards the ending. I guess I'll drop it down to easy mode to avoid frustration.

d21lewis from 2001 is looking at present day d21lewis in total disgust.

Akumu Mode for you should be renamed d21lewis May Cry, then.

foodfather said:
It was meh. No intention of ever buying it. Alien Isolation was much better.

Well, that's a shame to hear. However, what problems made you think that way? There's room for games like The Evil Within, and there's room for games like Alien Isolation. Despite both being horror-themed, they're different at its core.

Meh game