By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My Console Is Better Than Yours (Atari 2600 Edition)

Tagged games:

Everyone is talking about some plain and boring plastic boxes that only play movies, while im here, playin dem real gamez all up in yo muddafukin ass!  

Of course, i'm talking about the Atari 2600. Now, to not waste any more time here are a couple of reasons my 2600 is better than your [insert current gen console name]:

-Does your console have the same legacy as the Sun will have? (Helping create something beautiful (the gaming industry/Earth,life) and then basically destroying it)

-Does your console have no shitty DLC and always online BS?

-Does your console start up games at lightning speed?

-Does your console have amazing exclusives like: Adventure, Solaris, Yars' Revenge, Haunted House, the SwordQuest games, LaserBlast, ET and so on...

-Does your console have amazing semi-exclusives like: Pitfall 1 and 2, River Raid, Asteroids, Warlords, Missle Command and so on...

-Does your console support Black and White TV's?

-Does your console have the guts to still work after 37 years of usage?

Around the Network

I love that "no DLC" is a plus

KLXVER said:
I love that "no DLC" is a plus

There, kind of fixed :P

I wouldn't say not having DLC is an inherent plus :p There are a lot of publishers that abuse it, but there are plenty of others that use the system to provide new content made after the game's completion (TLOU's Left Behind, MK8's tracks etc).

Edit: Just saw your edit. *nods approvingly*

I miss my Atari 2600. It's long gone, but fond memories...

Around the Network

I got a hand me down Atari 2600. Didn't even know it was called that. It did play games and it looked good sitting beside the tv.  The joystick only worked in one direction and due to that my game sessions lasted a few seconds. It was kind of fun and as an insane person (or a kid) i did keep on playing. 

Upgraded from simple one to cool looking one. That lasted a few weeks and then it made a sound while i was maybe playing Space Invaders. It never worked again. 

Some months later, i got a hand me down NES. My quest of waiting for greatness ended there. It was glorious. This was around mid 90's when PS1 and N64 were about to release. I didn't know about their existence much or cared either to be honest. My next console after that was original xbox. Talk about graphxxxx jump. 

Some suggestions of arguments you might add:

- Do you think your current console of choice will still work after 37 years of usage?

- Do you think you'll still return to said console after 37 years because its games are charming or because of nostalgia?

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

Zisbest said:
Some suggestions of arguments you might add:

- Do you think your current console of choice will still work after 37 years of usage?

- Do you think you'll still return to said console after 37 years because its games are charming or because of nostalgia?

I wonder how i forgot that, oh well i will put that in when im back online.

You didn't include Raiders of the Lost Ark or Combat!

But the Atari 2600 needs to be remembered better. nintendo repackages its classic games all the time, but atari cannot find any good way to monetize its own Intellectual Property.

-no pause button means non-stop action!

-No licensing means obscure and hilarious games (chase the chuck wagon)

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

I've never owned an Atari but you make it sound very good. I'm convinced your console isbetter than mine. :(