By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Smash Wii U will place in the top 10 best selling fighting games of all time!

Tagged games:

Will Smash place in the top 10 best selling fighting games of all time?

Yes 28 58.33%

No 15 31.25%

It will not only place to... 3 6.25%

See results 2 4.17%

Total:48

Super Smash Bros for Wii U is obviously very anticipated, and for good reason. The cast is HUGE, the modes are plentyful, the online will be better than ever, there will be a controller specifically designed for it (based off the Gamecube controller which the Smash community hails as the greatest controller for Smash if not all fighters of all time), and it looks absolutely beautiful. Something that I didn't know was how it is also the highest selling fighting franchises of all time! 

If you haven't seen the numbers here's a link to a previous thread discussing fighting games sales.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250568/top-10-in-sales-fighting-games/

Granted that was 2012, but fighters since then such as DOA5 have sold LESS than a million. Smash 4 for 3DS alone beats that. Tekken 6 and Street Fighter 4 however should be placed on that list, but Brawl would still be the best selling fighter of all time. So what do you guys think? Do you feel Smash will also place in the top 10 best selling fighting games of all time? Will it beat Brawl and take 1st place? 

Around the Network

Is an apple red ofcourse it will, but it won't outsell 3ds, brawl or melee, maybe the original though so top 5 seems impossible. Another fun question will the 3ds version outsell the original smash (5.550.000) before the end of 2014.
And will smash U already be in this list before 2014 ends it has to sell higher than 3.87 million units.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
Is an apple red ofcourse it will, but it won't outsell 3ds, brawl, melee or the original though so top 5 seems impossible. Another fun question will the 3ds version outsell the original smash (5.550.000) before the end of 2014.
And will smash U already be in this list before 2014 ends it has to sell higher than 3.87 million units.

I was pretty much going to combine the 3DS and Wii U versions sales being they are suppoed to (at the root) be the same game just with different modes, but it'll be interesting looking at it from both angles, Wii U and 3DS sales combined and seperate. Alone (due to the userbase) I think it will get in the top 10 of all time, but I think there is room for doubt. With 3DS sales it's a freaking given.

bigtakilla said:
Qwark said:
Is an apple red ofcourse it will, but it won't outsell 3ds, brawl, melee or the original though so top 5 seems impossible. Another fun question will the 3ds version outsell the original smash (5.550.000) before the end of 2014.

I was pretty much going to combine the 3DS and Wii U versions sales being they are suppoed to (at the root) be the same game just with different modes, but it'll be interesting looking at it from both angles, Wii U and 3DS sales combined and seperate. Alone (due to the userbase) I think it will get in the top 10 of all time, but I think there is room for doubt. With 3DS sales it's a freaking given.

I ccan almost guarantee Smash U will make this list on it's own lifetime, if you combine both of these games it ccould perhaps even outsell brawl. Smash bros 3ds is according to nintendo almost at 3 million (digital included but still). So both versions combined could outsell brawl if 3ds sales do not fall flat after the launch of smash bros U.

Qwark said:

I ccan almost guarantee Smash U will make this list on it's own lifetime, if you combine both of these games it ccould perhaps even outsell brawl. Smash bros 3ds is according to nintendo almost at 3 million (digital included but still). So both versions combined could outsell brawl if 3ds sales do not fall flat after the launch of smash bros U.

I think even after the release of the Wii U version the 3DS version could still have a good chance at selling, I mean millions more people own a 3DS than a Wii U. 

Around the Network

It only needs 3.6 Million

Of course it will go Top 10

*Sound Of Rain said:

I hope so, and I think it will as well. Hopefully Smash will really get Wii Us off the shelves. I already think they've done a better job promoting it than ANY other game on the Wii U as the Tournament they held during E3 was a huge success. I'm trying to find out how many people viewed, but am unsuccessful as of now. 

*Sound Of Rain said:

Since the 3ds will reach the list sooner so by that time it will probably be 3.87 million, still not a problem at all, someone even thinks it will outsell brawl on it's own.

Qwark said:

Someone even thinks it will outsell brawl on it's own.

Let's wait until the Wii U passes Brawl first

*Sound Of Rain said:
Qwark said:

Someone even thinks it will outsell brawl on it's own.

Let's wait until the Wii U passes Brawl first

Fair enough, but who knows after the release of Smash.