By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon: Why is there only 1 save file?

Tagged games:

Something that really bugs me about Pokemon is that we only have one chance to play it to it's fullest, unless your willing to lose all your progress. In almost any other game you have multiple save files, or at least 3. And it isn't about the genre, so why is it? I doubt it's hardware/software limitations, since the series has been going for almost 20 years now. If you say it's because it's on a handheld, then what about the console iterations?

I say it's for the money. They want us to either buy the 2 or 3 versions of Gen X. And if we get multiple save files, there's no reason to get the other version/3rd version/sequel of the game (except if you want to catch' em all. But now we have an improved GTS for that)

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

Because Nintendo puts tradition and "doing things their own way" over customer satisfaction--and fans let them get away with it. Also, yeah, they want to force people into buying multiple copies and consoles.

Things like this suck. It's as bad as some of the practices by other companies that draw a lot more anger. There is no excuse for it.

I am curious as well! Is it really only cause they want people to buy more than one copy or is there some other reason like limited space on the cartridge or something?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

You answered it yourself, it's to buy both versions of the game, and if you like the game so much you'd buy 2 of the same version just to keep your saved file.

Trust me I used to go to Nintendo World lots and there were some kids who has like 2 Blacks and 1 White. It wasn't common, but it wasn't rare either. Big reason why Pokémon games sell over 5+ mill.

My guess is that originally it was merely too difficult to implement, what with all the data you need to isolate at the highest end (all boxes full, etc). Later on they were just yielding to tradition (and, yes, to sell the different color-copies)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

greed, they want you to buy more games, you know some people did just like why they release two version or plus of the same game

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

You answered it yourself, it's to buy both versions of the game, and if you like the game so much you'd buy 2 of the same version just to keep your saved file.

Trust me I used to go to Nintendo World lots and there were some kids who has like 2 Blacks and 1 White. It wasn't common, but it wasn't rare either. Big reason why Pokémon games sell over 5+ mill.

So if we like a game we should buy a second copy? That's a terrible way to respond to this sort of thing. I'm a huge fan of Pokemon but having only one save slot really bugs me, especially since I like to replay the game on nuzlocke runs. Always hurts to delete my team and start anew. Nintendo is pretty much the only publisher that gets away with these archaic business practices. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

So if we like a game we should buy a second copy? That's a terrible way to respond to this sort of thing. I'm a huge fan of Pokemon but having only one save slot really bugs me, especially since I like to replay the game on nuzlocke runs. Always hurts to delete my team and start anew. Nintendo is pretty much the only publisher that gets away with these archaic business practices. 

Pretty much how I feel. I used to buy many Pokemon games (I was spoiled, k?), but now I just don't want 3 Pokemon games that have no single difference.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Im not quite $ure why.