By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is MS going about acquiring games the wrong way?

Tagged games:

As you can probably tell this is able the Minecraft/Mojang acquisition which I think is stupid. MS's probably is that they're pockets are too deep. They don't hesitate to blow money on what ever they think might help them which I think might be their downfall.

So it's all but confirmed that they will be buying Minecraft for 2.5B, and I did a little research and found an article that detailed the costs one would need to start up a brand new gaming studio and it turns out to be $600k. Which means they could use that Minecraft money and litterally start hundreds of sudios with new ideas and and IPs instead of buying Minecraft which I think will reach it's peak fairly soon. This is what Sony realized and created a massive army of first parties and have been supporting games of all types from JRPGs to Indies to Shooters to MMOs instead of gambling on one massive project.

Thoughts?

Around the Network

Yeah, they're gambling. But...

...do you realize that there isn't a proper Minecraft for Modern Windows/Windows Phone?

(EDIT: And, yes, I think they're doing it wrong. For the record, what I think they should do is to push XBL on Windows/Windows Phone hard and make it easier for devs to port those games to the XBOne, since they pretty much share the OS. That should solve game problems on the Windows side, and make it easier to acquire games for the XBOX side.)

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

you dont even have to buy/own the studio,you can get a stud/proven 3rd party studio and have them make you a exclusive game by publishing it.... deep down capcom/sunset overdrive insomniac ect ect... thats a lot of $$$ for the minecraft studio. that will not change the momentum by too much

Microsoft didn't approach Notch about this. Notch came to Microsoft. So what do we do now?

MB1025 said:
Microsoft didn't approach Notch about this. Notch came to Microsoft. So what do we do now?

Well I guess Microsoft had no choice then. If somebody tries to sell you one game for 2.5 billion you say yes! Don't even think about it. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

My thoughts on MS actions are that they have given a clear objective to the Xbox division. That objective is that they have the necessary capital thay need to turn the Xbox1 into a sucess. I dont think Microsofts wants more promises or wants to wait for next-gen. I think they are aware that rushing next-gen could be disastrous to them and to the market, so they are going for broke. Either this turns around and long-term is something they could do, or they will redirect toward mobile devices and PC or even sell off the division.

MB1025 said:

Are you serious? do you need me to tell you whats wrong with that?

TheWPCTraveler said:

...do you realize that there isn't a proper Minecraft for Modern Windows/Windows Phone?

(EDIT: And, yes, I think they're doing it wrong. For the record, what I think they should do is to push XBL on Windows/Windows Phone hard and make it easier for devs to port those games to the XBOne, since they pretty much share the OS. That should solve game problems on the Windows side, and make it easier to acquire games for the XBOX side.)

What does Modern Windows mean cause Minecraft works on Windows 8/8.1...

As for WP... Well... Firstly, I doubt Minecraft sells phones and secondly, if they really wanted it that badly, they could have just paid them like 1 million to port it instead of paying them 2 billion to buy the company

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Nem said:
My thoughts on MS actions are that they have given a clear objective to the Xbox division. That objective is that they have the necessary capital thay need to turn the Xbox1 into a sucess. I dont think Microsofts wants more promises or wants to wait for next-gen. I think they are aware that rushing next-gen could be disastrous to them and to the market, so they are going for broke. Either this turns around and long-term is something they could do, or they will redirect toward mobile devices and PC or even sell off the division.

What's more long term than having more first party studios?

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
TheWPCTraveler said:

What does Modern Windows mean cause Minecraft works on Windows 8/8.1...

As for WP... Well... Firstly, I doubt Minecraft sells phones and secondly, if they really wanted it that badly, they could have just paid them like 1 million to port it instead of paying them 2 billion and buy the company

This is one of those instances where I really hate Microsoft's naming conventions. Since they can't use Metro, they decided to use "Modern."

Think Windows RT, or apps on the Windows Store.

And, you don't want a crappy port to come out, and the XBL on WP certification process is hell, judging from what I've heard. A first-party entity would jump through those hoops easily.

By the way, don't you know how big Minecraft is?

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3