By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most FPSs are bad, most devs are clueless.

Tagged games:

Most FPSs are bad, most devs are clueless?

Yes, they are really bad. 93 75.61%

No, they are amazing. 29 23.58%

Total:122

Most FPSs are bad, most devs are clueless.

So I was trying to play Metro Last Light (I confused the name before, sorry. It was free on PSN PLUS) and Crysis 3 a while ago. bottom line: these games are not good. 

Metro Last Light (I confused the name before, sorry. It was free on PSN PLUS): I could not stand 30 minutes of it on PS3. and it have nothing to do with the console, the game just isn´t good or fun. Same with Crysis 3.
Many Fps developers lost their touch to game design, simple concepts like: learning curve, grabbing the gamer atention, FUN, and things like that are simply alien to them.

It is all about shoving things in a package to these clueless devs, if these things are fun or inspired never is a issue to them. It is about hours, but does not matter if these are hours of fun or hours of boredoom, it is just "hours of gameplay'.

The main problem is story. more and more they hire writers that have no idea how to create a video game narrative, and those douchebags think they are BETTER than a real video game writer.

They should learn about games before vomiting their idiotic novelas into the project. Video game narrative should be total subservient to the game itself, to the mechanics, to the spirit of the game.

Like in MGS4, crazy as it is, the story is all about going around the game and pumping it up, which is great.

Or, to say nice things about a western dev, FALLOUT 3, the narrative is all about grabbing you in with grace and gentleness, not stupid fast pace explosions and muscle action, like in crysis 3 and many other FPSs...

However, in the Bro FPS world this is not a topic of consideration at all, it is all about shoving things into multiplayer so screaming teenagers with ADD can get hooked into the game for 1 or 2 months.

So, this is te problem with so called AAA games and the virtue of indie games: purpose and intention. That is why Hideo Kojima is a genious in our eyes, because he knows a game is suppose to be fun, to grab us and keep us in. 

It is time to the big FPS devs to wake up.

Or not, who cares? People will keep buying those bad games anyways. =/

By the way, 

Could I make better and more fun games?

No I could not.

I also can not play violin, but I can notice when a violin player gets a note wrong. 

I also can not cook a duck, but I can sense when a duck is cooked wrong.

I also can not pilot a plane. But I can realize when it crashes.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network

I have no problem with Fps but online culture as of today games want me to play single player Fps.

In that case 40% of all gamers have bad taste. You think you could make better and more fun games?

Teeqoz said:
In that case 40% of all gamers have bad taste. You think you could make better and more fun games?

No I could not. I also can not play violin, but I can notice when a violin player gets a note wrong. 

I also can not cook a duck, but I can sense when a duck is cooked wrong.

I also can not pilot a plane. But I can realize when it crashes.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

The purpose of a game is to have fun. If you're not having fun, then the game has failed. A lot of these FPS games are just made to create a money tree for some of these developers and publishers. Many of these FPS games are hollow and lack any sort of depth. No one tries to innovate. Everyone is trying to be a realistic military shooter. It's sad, really.

Around the Network

I wouldn't exactly use Metal gear as an example of a good videogame narrative. It is borderline ridiculous and I doubt very many people found the extensive use of cutscenes in MGS4 "fun" or were many people grabbed and pulled in by the cash grab that is ground zeroes. When I think of good videogame narratives I think of halo, TLOU and Half Life and two of them are FPS games. They have good stories that draw you in but don't get bogged down in cutscenes and story as MGS often does and keep the pace and fun throughout the entire experience without it slowing to a crawl.

QuintonMcLeod said:

The purpose of a game is to have fun. If you're not having fun, then the game has failed. A lot of these FPS games are just made to create a money tree for some of these developers and publishers. Many of these FPS games are hollow and lack any sort of depth. No one tries to innovate. Everyone is trying to be a realistic military shooter. It's sad, really.

I agree 100%, can´t add anything to what you have said.

Headshot said:
I wouldn't exactly use Metal gear as an example of a good videogame narrative. It is borderline ridiculous and I doubt very many people found the extensive use of cutscenes in MGS4 "fun" or were many people grabbed and pulled in by the cash grab that is ground zeroes. When I think of good videogame narratives I think of halo, TLOU and Half Life and two of them are FPS games. They have good stories that draw you in but don't get bogged down in cutscenes and story as MGS often does and keep the pace and fun throughout the entire experience without it slowing to a crawl.

I thought a long time before using MGS 4 as a example man, and the reason is that the history is super crazy, and it adds to the gameplay and goes with it, not  like a novela that the game have to work against, like in the generic FPSs of today.

The reason is that I do not think it is mandatory to be simple to be good, like Braid or Lone Survivor, you can be bold, but you gotta remember that it is still a video game.

Wagner do you like FPS? I mean do you buy a console for FPS?

Teeqoz said:

Please don't use this sentence.. It's silly and doesn't make sense. You're pretty much saying only people who are better than others at something can criticize, which is not really true.