By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Tagged games:

Since the dawn of Pokemon on the Gameboy, we have wanted MMOre. MMOre immersion, MMOre interaction, MMOre Pokemon (ok so maybe we got that one, and a little excessively I might add).

We know it won't happen, let alone be revealed tonight, so let's just assume we're in that crazy alternate universe where everything, down to the minutiae of our very own atom/electron arrangement, is identical. Except that in roughly 12 short hours, PokeMMOn is revealed.

Now that we have succesfully suspended disbelief, it's time to ask ourselves, what happens next? Don't speculate on the content of the game, but rather the effect it has. Assume PokeMMOn is exactly as it should be.

Realistically, how much of a boost does the Wii U receive? And how does that subsequently affect the perception of the console in the eyes of consumers and also other developers?

Discuss.

Around the Network

If they released an MMO Pokemon for the Wii U, the console would seriously sell like hot cakes.
The only naysayers would be people that hate Nintendo with a fiery passion.

First they have to master the O part of MMO's

Depends on how its done really. They can be very successful or they can fail hard

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I'd be...cautiously optimistic. While Pokemon combat seems about as good a choice as possible for an MMO (certainly better than what's found in WoW and the likes), I'd be genuinely concerned about the future of Pokemon. Would mainline Pokemon games still sell with an MMO in place?

Around the Network

If it's a regular Pokemon game with a few basic MMO aspects based in, it'll be great.

If it's an MMO with some basic Pokemon aspects mixed in, it'll suck.

Either way it'll certainly sell a shit ton.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

A Pokémon MMO for the Wii U would be great idea for Nintendo. I don't think it would necessarily diminish the importance of the traditional handheld games, either. The MMO would just be a way for Nintendo to expand the world of Pokémon, which I think we would all agree is necessary. Plus, the Wii U could use a game to entice people who have a 3DS/2DS to purchase one. A Pokémon MMO would be perfect for that, considering a lot of people only buy 3DS/2DS's for the Pokémon games anyway.

I've never played an MMO before, but you know I would play this one. Regardless, the world would never be the same again.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

I don't want an MMO. I want an open world single player action hack-n-slash game with Destiny-like online integration.

MTZehvor said:
I'd be...cautiously optimistic. While Pokemon combat seems about as good a choice as possible for an MMO (certainly better than what's found in WoW and the likes), I'd be genuinely concerned about the future of Pokemon. Would mainline Pokemon games still sell with an MMO in place?

I'd say yes. MMO's lack stories, but would allow the player to build his own gems, arenas, teams, leagues, ect. People would still want the handheld games for the story.