By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog "nickeling and diming"?

Tagged games:

The Last of Us Gets New DLC; Some Fans Aren't Happy About It

Grit and Gear Bundle and new gestures now available to buy, as some fans say Naughty Dog is "nickel and diming" them.

Naughty Dog isn't done supporting its acclaimed post-apocalyptic action game, The Last of Us, just yet. One week after the release of The Last of Us Remastered--a PlayStation 4 version of last year's PlayStation 3 game--the developer today launched new content for both versions of the game, and some fans aren't happy about it.

The Grit and Gear Bundle includes six headgear items for $7. Naughty Dog points out that each bundle features an exclusive item that can only be had through the bundle. New gestures (at left) are also available today, as part of a $2.49 bundle.

That's not the end of The Last of Us DLC, however. Next week, Naughty Dog will release another headgear pack, the Professional Sports Bundle. This content will also be available for PS3 and PS4. Looking further out, the developer teased that another expansion with new maps and weapons will be released "two weeks from now." This is likely the multiplayer expansion Naughty Dog announced last month.

The announcement of this new Last of Us DLC has drawn the ire of some PlayStation fans, who wrote in the comments section on the PlayStation Blog that Naughty Dog is "nickel and diming" them with the new content. Responding to these criticisms, Naughty Dog community strategist Eric Monacelli pointed out that all the DLC released until the Last of Us season pass ended in May is available for players in Remastered. If you didn't buy the DLC pass, you missed out on an "insanely good" deal, Monacelli said.

Another commenter said sarcastically, "Yay!!! The people love our game; let's shove some more DLC down their throat every two weeks…" Monacelli replied, "Ha. Not at all. We want you to play with new gear. Also, if you don't want to buy now we have bundles and sales coming."

The Last of Us Remastered does not offer a DLC pass, though it does include the Left Behind single-player add-on and multiplayer expansions Abandoned Territories and Reclaimed Territories. For more on The Last of Us Remastered, check out GameSpot's review.

Around the Network

It's completely optional and there is already plenty of content included, so I don't see what the fuss is about.

UNC5052 said:
It's completely optional and there is already plenty of content included, so I don't see what the fuss is about.

its the last of us. simple as that. 

Here's a tip: If you don't buy it, nobody is nickel and diming you.

There are over 80 DLC items for the game already, and I bought none. I'm at peace.

I made a pie chart to compare gamers who aren't happy to gamers that are happy. 

Around the Network

Those poor people being forced to buy what they want. Someone has to stop this madness!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Is that a Dualshockers article? Seriously making a conversation in a comment section into an article, that really sound like Dualshockers to me.

Anyway, ND already did pretty much the same thing with UC3 and I can't say that I'm a huge fan of it, as long as the DLC is just purely cosmetical though, I guess there could be worse things. Selling weapons and perks is shitty imo on the other hand, ND.

the-pi-guy said:
Guns I would say no to, but outside of that, it doesn't really matter.
At least if the gun was completely different from anything in the game or gave a huge advantage, that wouldn't be good.
But if it is only gestures and costumes, then I don't think it matters.

Looking further out, the developer teased that another expansion with new maps and weapons will be released "two weeks from now.

Awe well, I'll take my 95 meta game and the op can take his.....I don't know...snap mode or something..

Edit: Moderated - Starcraft

Goatseye said:
the-pi-guy said:
Guns I would say no to, but outside of that, it doesn't really matter.
At least if the gun was completely different from anything in the game or gave a huge advantage, that wouldn't be good.
But if it is only gestures and costumes, then I don't think it matters.

Looking further out, the developer teased that another expansion with new maps and weapons will be released "two weeks from now.

That is great news, not a long wait for a previously announced DLC.